Welcome to the Reading & Literacy Leadership Specialist Credential Program
“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” - W. B. Yeats
The Reading & Literacy Leadership Specialist Credential is an advanced credential above and beyond the Multiple Subject, Single Subject, or Special Education teaching credential. For those who qualify, this 30 unit Specialist Credential program automatically also fulfills requirements for 3 other CSLA graduate reading programs: the M.A in Education: Option in Reading, the California Reading Certificate, and the Postsecondary Reading Certificate programs. The Reading and Literacy Leadership Specialist Credential authorizes the holder to be a PreK-12 Reading Specialist at the school, district, or county office of education level. The California Reading and Literacy added authorization Certificate authorizes the holder to be a school site Reading Specialist or interventionist at the grade levels authorized by his/her basic teaching credential. The CSULA Postsecondary Reading Certificate authorizes the holder to teach reading courses at the Community College level.
This program fulfills the requirements of the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the International Literacy Association's (ILA) Guidelines for Reading Specialists and the State of California Commission on Accreditation requirements for the Reading & Language Arts Specialist Credential. Since this program is NCATE approved, graduates may be able to take advantage of interstate reciprocity to many states within the US; contact receiving state department of education for more information. Since this Reading and Literacy Leadership Specialist Credential program is so closely linked to the Master of Arts Option in Reading, and the California Reading and Literacy Authorization Certificate, and the Postsecondary Reading Certificate programs, with careful planning, students can earn all four (4) concurrently. (See either Graduate Reading Programs Coordinator for more information.)
As graduates of the Reading & Literacy Leadership Specialist Credential program, one may find work as:
- Reading & Language Arts teachers at the K-12 level
- Reading & Language Arts Specialists in public, charter, and private schools
- Developers of Reading and Language Arts curriculum
- Reading Specialists or Interventionists at the County Office of Education and/or the School District Office
- Educators within related academic environments such as tutoring clinics, museums, zoos, and etc.
- Providers of professional development and in-service workshops in Literacy
- Authors of Reading and/or Language Arts textbooks
- Reading and Language Arts consultants for publishing companies
Reading & Literacy Leadership Specialist Credential