General Math Advisement for All Majors

General Mathematics Advisement for All Majors

Please follow the directions on the task list before seeking advisement, as some advisement tasks are done by Math Dept. Undergraduate Advisor (Dr. Raychaudhuri) and others by the NSS advisors.Click here to see the advisement specifications.

ELM requirement

Every student entering a CSU campus needs to either take the Entry Level Mathematics (ELM) exam or be exempt from it. You are exempt from taking the ELM if you have

  • Taken the SAT and scored at least 550
  • Taken the ACT and scored at least 23
  • Taken the Early Assessment Program (EAP) exam (in conjunction with the California Standards Test) and were exempt
  • Taken the EAP exam and were conditionally exempt, but then took an approved mathematics course during senior year
  • Received a score of 3 or above on the AP Calculus or AP Statistics exams.
  • Completed a transfer course that satisfies GE Quantitative Reasoning
  • Received a score of 49 or above on the CLEP College Algebra - Trigonometry exam or a score of 51 or above on the CLEP Calculus with Elementary Functions exam (see catalog).

If you are exempt from the ELM exam or have scored more than 50 on the ELM exam, then you are ready to enroll in college level mathematics courses (see below).


Placement into Math courses based on ELM score

If you are not exempt from the ELM, then you are required to take it before being admitted. The score you get on the ELM determines which mathematics course you can/must enroll in.

  • If you score below 37 on the ELM, then you are placed in MATH 0920
  • If you score between 37 and 49, then you are placed in MATH 0930
  • If you score 50 or higher, then you may take MATH 1000, 1020, 1040, or 1090.

The course sequence MATH 0920/0930 is pre-collegiate (remedial). You have to enroll in the course you are placed in, and then enroll in the next course of the remedial sequence each semester until you have completed remediation (passed MATH 0930). Note that Executive Order 665 requires that the remedial course sequence be completed within one calendar year from the date of first enrollment. Students with an ELM score below 50 who do not pass MATH 0930 within one calendar year from the date of first enrollment may be prevented from registering for classes at CSULA until they successfully fulfill this requirement another way; see the section below on "What to do if you don't pass MATH 0930 within your first year". If an additional year elapses before that requirement is fulfilled, the student may be disenrolled from CSULA. A disenrolled student can only return to CSULA once the requirements for transfer students have been satisfied, in particular Block B of the GE program.

What to do if you don't pass MATH 0930 within your first year

If you are no longer able to register for classes because you have not yet passed MATH 0930 within your first year, here are several options:

  • Take the Exit Exam (

  • Re-take the ELM (

  • Take MATH 0930 through the Open University Program (
    Note that during the period when you have a registration hold, you are still a CSULA student, so you may NOT enroll in Open University during that time. Matriculated students (students who have been formally admitted to the university) must be on inactive status for at least one semester before they may attend Open University. This requirement applies to disqualified, out-of-state, international, and resident students.

  • Take the equivalent class at a community college.
    Once you have successfully completed the equivalent course at the community college, you need to bring either an unofficial transcript or a note from your instructor to the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Studies, so they can lift the hold on your registration. However, you need to bring an official transcript to that office before the beginning of the next (usually fall) semester, otherwise you will be disenrolled. In order to register for the college level mathematics course, you would go to the Mathematics Department located in Simpson Tower 206 with the unofficial transcript showing a passing grade in the course that is equivalent to MATH 0930 to be issued a permit.


    Here are the courses that are equivalent to CSULA MATH 0930 at nearby community colleges. If you plan to take the equivalent of MATH 0930 at another community college, then you should see the Undergraduate Adviser in the Mathematics Department with a course description of the intermediate algebra course(s) at the community college of your choice and obtain a letter stating that course XXX at Community College XYZ is equivalent to MATH 0930 at CSULA. Bring this letter together with your unofficial transcript to the Department of Mathematics for your enrollment permit. The information in the table below is up-to-date as of Fall 2009, but be aware that course numbers and equivalencies change over time, so make sure to check with the Undergraduate Adviser for mathematics before taking a course elsewhere.

    Community CollegeCourses equivalent to MATH 0930Additional Info
    Pasadena City College (PCC)
    Math 131 Intermediate Algebra (4 units)
    Math 133A Intermediate Algebra I (2 units)
    Math 133B Intermediate Algebra II (2 units)
    Corresponding computer-based courses are numbered 134 instead of 133
    East Los Angeles College (ELAC)
    Math 125 Intermediate Algebra (5 units) 
    Mount San Antonio College (Mount SAC)
    Math 71 Intermediate Algebra (5 units)
    Math 71A Intermediate Algebra (3 units) 
    Math 71B Intermediate Algebra (3 units)
    Math 71A&B covers material of math 71 at slower pace; Math 71X is not acceptable as equivalent to MATH 0930
    Glendale Community College
    Math 101 Intermediate Algebra (5 units)
    Math 119 Intermediate Algebra I (3 units)
    Math 120 Intermediate Algebra II (2 units)
    Corresponding computer-based courses have 200 numbers instead of 100 numbers (i.e., 201 is equivalent to 101, etc). View overview of GCC remedial sequence.
    Los Angeles City College
    Math 125 Intermediate Algebra (5 units)
    Math 124A & 124B Intermediate Algebra (5 units)
    Santa Monica College (SMC)
    Math 20 Intermediate AlgebraSMC Math 18 is not acceptable as a substitute for CSULA MATH 0930.View overview of SMC math sequence.



AP, CLEP and IB exams


If you have taken the AP Calculus, CLEP, or International Baccalaureate (IB) exam, you may get credit for some calculus courses if you scored high enough.

AP ExamsPassing scoreEarns credit forSemester unitsGE
Calculus AB3MATH 2110 (Calculus I)4B4
Calculus BC3

MATH 2110 (Calculus I) and MATH 2120 (Calculus II)

AP Calculus BC/AB Subscore3

MATH 2110 (Calculus I)

AP Statistics3MATH 1090 (Reasoning with Statistics)3B4


CLEP ExamsPassing scoreEarns credit forSemester unitsGE
Calculus50MATH 2110 (Calculus I)4B4
College Algebra50MATH 1020 (College Algebra)3B4
College Mathematics50MATH 1000 (Introduction to College Mathematics)3B4
Precalculus50MATH 1040 (Precalculus)6B4

Note: Memo from chancellor's office says that scoring 50 or better on CLEP College Algebra: Trigonometry or on the CLEP Trigonometry exam earns 3 semester units. According to web, these exams were replaced by the CLEP Precalculus Exam in 2005.


International Baccalaureate ExamPassing scoreEarns credit forSemester unitsGE
IB Mathematics HL4MATH 2110 (Calculus I) and MATH 2120 (Calculus II) 8B4


This information is current as of June 2016, but is subject to change. Please see the course catalog for the most up-to-date information.