How will the Transfer AA or AS degree be used in determining admission eligibility?
Cal State LA continues to have more qualified applicants than available new student spaces. All transfer students must declare a major when submitting their application. Priority consideration is granted to applicants who are pursuing a Transfer AA/AS degree. For the Transfer AA or AS degree to be used in the admission process, the following must be met:
- The student must be pursuing an Approved Transfer AA-T or AS-T program at a California Community College.
- The transfer degree program must be deemed ‘similar’ to the corresponding major program at Cal State LA.
- You must apply to that corresponding major at Cal State LA.
- The Community College must certify that you are on-track to complete the Transfer AA or AS degree by the end of spring for Fall admission, or the end of summer for Spring admission.
If the requirements above have been met, then:
Applicants to Majors with Major-Specific Admission Criteria
The Transfer AA/AS curriculum is used in lieu of the specific required and recommended courses listed. Under CSU guidelines, the minimum required cumulative GPA has been adjusted as indicated. Non-local applicants will also benefit from a 0.1 GPA bonus used in the ranking of non-local applicants.
Applicants to Majors without Major-Specific Admission Criteria
The Transfer AA/AS curriculum is designed to meet the CSU transfer requirements. Local applicants with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 will be offered admission. Non-local applicants will benefit from a 0.1 GPA bonus used in the ranking of non-local applicants.
Transfer AA/AS Degree Verification
To be eligible for the admission priority consideration, California Community College Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) applicants must submit verification that they have or are finishing the remaining requirements for the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) by the stated admission term’s Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) completion deadline.
For this verification to be accomplished, the California Community Colleges have established a priority schedule for Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) eligible students.
- Students are asked to submit their “petition to graduate” Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) at the community college they are attending.
- The community college will confirm applicant eligibility for the ADT directly with the CSU via an online e-Verify portal.
- Transfer applicants may also send a copy of the evaluation form to the Cal State LA Office of Admissions and Recruitment by the stated admission term’s ADT verification deadline.
- A final transcript showing completion of the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) must be submitted to the Cal State LA Office of Admissions and Recruitment by the stated admission term’s final official transcript deadline.
Which Transfer AA or AS degrees are ‘similar’ to Cal State LA Majors?
Cal State LA Similar Baccalaureate Degree Programs
|ADT Degree Name||Degree||Cal State LA Major||Degree|
|Administration of Justice||AS-T||Criminal Justice||BS|
|Business Administration||AS-T||Business Administration - Accounting||BS|
|Business Administration||AS-T||Business Administration - Business Economics||BS|
|Business Administration||AS-T||Business Administration - Business Prelegal||BS|
|Business Administration||AS-T||Business Administration - Entrepreneurship||BS|
|Business Administration||AS-T||Business Administration - Finance||BS|
|Business Administration||AS-T||Business Administration - Healthcare Administration||BS|
|Business Administration||AS-T||Business Administration - Human Resource Management||BS|
|Business Administration||AS-T||Business Administration - International Business||BS|
|Business Administration||AS-T||Business Administration - Management||BS|
|Business Administration||AS-T||Business Administration - Marketing||BS|
|Business Administration||AS-T||Business Administration - Operations and Supply Chain Management||BS|
|Business Administration||AS-T||Business Administration - Real Estate||BS|
|Business Administration||AS-T||Business Administration - Retailing||BS|
|Business Administration||AS-T||Business Administration - Special Business||BS|
|Child and Adolescent Development||AA-T||Child Development||BA|
|Early Childhood Education||AS-T||Child Development||BA|
|Elementary Teacher Education||AA-T||Child Development||BA|
|Elementary Teacher Education||AA-T||Liberal Studies||BA|
|Elementary Teacher Education||AA-T||Mexican-American Studies||BA|
|Elementary Teacher Education||AA-T||Urban Learning - Teaching and Learning||BA|
|Film, Television, and Electronic Media||AS-T||Television, Film, and Media Studies||BA|
|Global Studies||AA-T||Mexican-American Studies||BA|
|Political Science||AA-T||Political Science||BA|
|Social Justice Studies||AA-T||Mexican-American Studies||BA|
|Social Justice Studies||AA-T||Sociology||BA|
|Spanish||AA-T||Latin American Studies||BA|
|Theatre Arts||AA-T||Theatre Arts and Dance||BA|
How will the Transfer AA or AS degree be used in determining my graduation requirements?
Students who have completed an approved Transfer Degree program deemed ‘similar’ to their Cal State LA major are eligible to graduate in 60 units. The exact pathway to complete the specific major will depend on the specific AA/AS curriculum. As a result, the pathway will be determined in consultation with an advisor. The 60 unit graduation option will obviously not be possible if the student changes majors or elects to add any additional degree objective, such as a second major or minor.
- Review Transfer Application and Admissions for Cal State LA eligibility and application details.
- Review Major-Specific Requirements for Transfer for the Cal State LA minimum GPA required for each major.
- Contact your community college transfer center for information on meeting the requirements for a Transfer AA/AS degree.