If you have not already done so, be sure to provide proof of your COVID-19 vaccination or request a religious or medical exemption. You may do so by logging on to the MyCalStateLA Portal. For detailed instructions, go to the COVID-19 Student Self Certification Instructions page.
Students should remain in communication with their instructors and follow their instructions, as well as check program web pages and email boxes for updates from PaGE staff and/or instructors.
The Master of Public Health (MPH) offered by Cal State LA in Downtown Los Angeles includes a unique focus on urban community health serving diverse populations in urban areas like Los Angeles. Students will understand how to improve health outcomes at the population level and how a variety of factors can impact the health of local communities. Cal State LA's program allows both recent bachelor's degree recipients and seasoned public health professionals to learn the intricacies of this growing field.
Cal State LA is accredited under WSCUC (also known as WASC). The Department of Public Health's MPH program is in the process of specialty accreditation through the Council of Education in Public Health (CEPH), which means that Cal State LA Rongxiang Xu College of Health and Human Services, Department of Public Health intends to align and abide by national academic standards to effectively train Public Health professionals. Cal State LA's MPH program application for CEPH accreditation was accepted in March 2020 and is currently in CEPH Self-Study.
Read/download the MPH program flyer.
Learn about financing your education here.
Join our interest list to stay up to date on the latest MPH program updates and application windows.
Who Should Enroll?
- Individuals with a passion for serving their community and improving health outcomes for individuals and populations
- Individuals interested in understanding the principles, policies, and techniques needed to provide public health programming in the Los Angeles area
- Those seeking work in some of the following capacities: healthcare administration, health education, community health, program management, research, public policy, behavioral and social sciences, and statistics and biostatistics
Register to view/listen to a live OR prerecorded Master of Public Health program webinar here.
Tuition & Fees
Cost Per Unit
Total Program Cost
Learn more about financial assistance opportunities here.
Please read about Graduate Application and Admission.
Read about International Graduate Application and Admission.
A Cal State LA Public Health faculty committee will make admission decisions. To be admitted to the Cal State LA MPH program, applicants must meet the basic CSU Graduate Program admission requirements:
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- An undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher is suggested; a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is strongly recommended. Some exceptions to this may be defined by the committee.
- A statement of purpose explaining the rationale for pursuing an MPH in urban health.
- A professional resume.
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges or universities attended, including Cal State LA.
- Official transcripts for bachelor's or professional degrees obtained, as well as certificate programs in which letter grades were awarded.
- Two reference forms: One reference must be academic; the second may be academic or professional. If last degree was earned over 5 years ago, two professional references are allowed.
If you are an international applicant, please also review the information on the following websites:
If you do not possess a Bachelor's (or advanced) degree from a post-secondary college/university where English is the only language of instruction, you will need to submit official TOEFL test scores as a part of the admission process.
For more information, please visit this website:
To Apply/Application Deadline
Apply for Fall 2022
Master of Public Health
Online applications open
October 1, 2021
March 15, 2022
April 1, 2022
Please submit official transcripts and other required documents by April 1, 2022, to:
Office of Admissions and Recruitment
Cal State LA
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032
Please read Cal State LA's Non-Discrimination Policy here.
For more information, please contact the College of Professional and Global Education via email or (323) 343-4915.