- The application process is centralized at the university and requires TWO steps as described below:
Apply Online at Cal State Apply (For FALL 2020: October 1, 2019 - February 14, 2020).
- Submit official academic records/transcripts to the Admissions Office within two weeks of university application submission.
- Be aware: If you are a current (or former) Cal State LA student, the Cal State LA transcript does not need to be submitted to the Admissions Office.
- If you have studied at an institution outside of the US, you will need to have your foreign academic work evaluated by the International Education Research Foundation (IERF) or World Education Services (WES) for securing admission into the program.
- IERF - Visit https://apply.ierf.org/ to create an online application requesting the "Detailed Report". The foreign evaluation fee is $165 (USD). When submitting your course work to IERF please make sure to indicate that you were referred by "CSU Los Angeles-Office of Graduate Admissions" and that you would like to have the official agency copy of the evaluation report sent directly to CSU Los Angeles-Office of Graduate Admissions.
- WES - Visit http://www.wes.org/fees/evaltypes.asp to create an online application. You will need to order the course-by-course evaluation report. The cost is $160 for the WES Basic or $205 for the WES ICAP.
- For steps on how to submit your foreign academic records to these agencies, visit the Admissions and Recruitment page on IERF/WES.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score is NOT required (for Computer Science Program). However, GRE score can be considered in the admission process and can also exempt graduate students from Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) UNIV 4000 if they have a score of 4 on the analytic writing portion of the GRE or GMAT. (For more information please visit the following website: WPE)
- Letters of Recommendation are NOT required (except upon department request for certain circumstances).
- Applicants must possess a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or a related field with a GPA of 3.0 or better. A promising applicant with a GPA below 3.0 may be admitted as a special action student.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for students who do not possess a bachelor's degree from an institution where English is the principal language of instruction. A score of 80 or higher is required. (For additional information please visit the following website: Language Proficiency Requirement)
- Currently, there is no teaching or research assistantships offered through the Computer Science department. Refer to the Center for Financial Aid for financial assistance available from federal, state and institutional sources at Cal State LA.
- Go to the Student Handbook for more information about the graduate program at the Computer Science Department.
- Go to the Graduate Application and Admission page for more detailed information about the university graduate admission.
- Students are admitted to either “Classified Graduate Standing” (referred to as G2 standing) or “Conditionally Classified Standing” (referred to G1 standing).
- Students admitted to “Conditionally Classified Graduate Standing” are given up to three prerequisites (based on the evaluation of their transcripts). These three fundamental Computer Science course areas are:
- Programming (CS 3035)
- Algorithms (CS 3112)
- Web (CS 3220)
- The Computer Science Department will conduct advisement/orientation sessions (prior to the start of their first semester) for all new incoming graduate students.
- Students admitted under “Classified Graduate Standing” will set up a study plan for their first semester.
- Students admitted under “Conditionally Classified Graduate Standing” will be given the opportunity to remove any of the assigned prerequisite conditions by successfully taking an Assessment Test in that area. Students then set up a study plan to complete all the prerequisites in the first semester.
For questions regarding MSCS Program Graduate Admissions, contact us: ECSTGradAdmission@calstatela.edu