SAVE THE DATES AND REGISTER TODAY!
STEP is a MANDATORY program for all incoming freshmen in the College of Engineering, Computer Science, and Technology majoring in Pre-Engineering majors and Pre-Computer Science.
Program Dates: Monday, June 17 - Friday, August 2, 2019
Schedule: Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Location: Cal State LA Campus
STEP Orientation: Saturday, June 8, 2019 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Housing: STEP is a commuter program and does not cover the cost of housing during the program. However, we would be glad to assist you with on-campus housing arrangements at your expense. Make sure to indicate if you need the program's assistance with housing arrangements on the online STEP Application.
Application Deadline: Friday, May 24, 2019
STEP is a MANDATORY program for all incoming freshmen in the College of Engineering, Computer Science, and Technology majoring in Pre-Engineering and Pre-Computer Science.
The purpose of STEP is to prepare Pre-Engineering and Pre-Computer Science incoming freshmen to be successful in their course of study at Cal State LA by facilitating the transition from high school to college, reinforcing and/or developing math skills necessary to meet ECST major requirements, and building community. Students meet other students in their college, connect with ECST student organizations, obtain general information about the campus, and begin their relationship with their academic advisors and faculty.
Goals and Objectives
- Effectively prepare students for the challenge of college work in mathematics and success through targeted instruction.
- Increase the retention and graduation rates of undergraduate students and improve their time-to-degree completion.
- Provide students with the necessary skills to help them evolve effectively academically and personally.
- Graduate the highest-potential, career-ready ECST students.
The goals are to be met through the following objectives:
- Require Pre-Engineering and Pre-Computer Science incoming freshmen who placed in Math Category I and II to attend.
- Assess student’s math readiness through ALEKS PPL and provide each student and their corresponding instructor with a report summarizing their strengths and weaknesses in math.
- Cohort students based on their first assessment score and individual needs.
- Connect participants with student leaders, student organizations, advisors, and faculty.
- Provide students with the skills to help them evolve and become more effective in their personal lives.
Step General Information
HOW ARE STUDENTS PLACED INTO STEP?
When students are admitted to Cal State LA, the university looks at a variety of measures to determine their Math and English placement category. CSU places students into one of four categories in Math and English. STEP is required for all Fall 2019 incoming freshmen majoring in Pre-Engineering and Pre-Computer Science in the College of ECST who place in the following two Math Categories:
Category 1 - GE Requirement Completed: Students have already fulfilled the General Education requirement in Math. Most of the students in Category 1 received a passing score on the AP or IB exam, and received credit for the college course. All students planning to take the AP Calculus Exam or who already took it and have not received their score, should complete a STEP application as soon as possible to secure a space in the program. Category 1 students are not required to take Early Start.
Category 2 - Academic support course not needed with GE course: Students are ready to take the freshmen-level GE course in Math (College Level Math). College level math is NOT Calculus 1. In order for ECST incoming freshmen to start in Calculus 1, they must attend STEP and place in Math 2110 by the end of the program. Category 2 students are not required to take Early Start.
Note: Students coming into the College of ECST in Math Category 3 or 4 will NOT participate in STEP. Both Math Category 3 and 4 will be REQUIRED to attend the Early Start Program.
EXEMPTIONS FROM STEP
The following students will not be required to participate in STEP:
- Students who live more than 35 miles away from campus.
- Students required to attend the EOP Summer Bridge Program at Cal State LA.
- Students required to attend the Early Start Program (ESP) by the university.
- Students who have earned college credit for Calculus 1.
- Students who earned a score of 4 or higher on the AP Calculus AB or BC.
- International Students.
- Students who placed in Math Category 3 and Math Category 4 (both catergories are required to attend Early Start).
HOW DO I KNOW IF I AM ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN STEP?
Expect to receive a formal invitation to STEP around mid-May via email from the College of ECST once your Math Placement Category explained above has been verified. Also, if you receive a notice from the university that you must participate in the Early Start Program (ESP), then you must comply with this requirement and you will NOT be able to participate in STEP (Math Category IV). For more information about the Early Start Program please visit: http://www.calstatela.edu/smartstart/early-start-program.
In addition, if the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) also requires you to attend the EOP Summer Bridge Program, then you must comply with this requirement and will NOT be able to attend STEP. For any questions regarding EOP, please visit: http://www.calstatela.edu/eop/office-eop-contact-us.
STUDENTS WHO ALREADY PLACED IN CALCULUS 1 OR HIGHER THROUGH COLLEGE CREDIT OR AP CALCULUS TESTS
Students who have earned college credit for Calculus 1 or earned a score of 4 or higher on the AP Calculus AB or BC are highly encouraged to participate in the Calculus 1 Boot Camp during STEP. More specific information regarding the Calculus 1 Boot Camp will be provided during the STEP Orientation.
PROGRAM SCHEDULE & ORGANIZATION
Before the start of the program:
STEP Program Orientation (Mandatory) Saturday, June 8, 2019
- Students GE Ballrooms 1-3 8:00 - 12:30 p.m.
- Parents U-SU LA Room ABC 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.
Note: English and Spanish sessions will be available for parents.
Program Schedule (Monday - Friday) Monday, June 17 - Friday, August 2, 2019
9:00 - 11:00 a.m. Math Supplemental Instruction (SI) Workshop
11:00 - 12:00 p.m. ALEKS PPL Learning Module
12:00 - 12:50 p.m. Lunch
1:00 - 3:00 p.m. Math Lecture (Monday - Thursday)
Personal Development Workshops or Tutoring (Fridays only instead of the Math Lecture)
After 3:00 p.m. Homework: ALEKS PPL Learning Module
Note: Students will be excused from the program during their College Orientation and University GE Orientation dates. Also, on July 4th (Holiday) campus will be closed.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO ATTEND STEP 2019?
1. Enrollment Confirmation Deposit: Accept your Cal State LA offer of admission no later than May 1st by submitting your Enrollment Confirmation Deposit (ECD).
2. STEP 2019 Application: Complete the STEP 2019 Online Application.
3. STEP Orientation: Attend the STEP Orientation on Saturday, June 8, 2018 from 8:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at Cal State LA, Golden Eagle Ballrooms I-III. Free parking passes for the STEP Orientation will be distributed at the entrance of Lot 5 from 7:15 - 8:15 a.m. (Campus Map: http://www.calstatela.edu/univ/ppa/campus_map.pdf).
5. Check your email and voicemail regularly. More information is forthcoming via the email address and phone number you’ve provided to the admissions office. This is the information we will use to communicate with you. If this information has changed, it is crucial that we hear back from you as soon as possible so that we may effectively communicate with you in the upcoming weeks.
Contact: For additional information regarding STEP or to discuss specific concerns, please call the ECST Student Success Center (ESSC) at (323) 343-4574 and ask to speak to any ESSC Staff who will be glad to assist you.