Silvia L. Martin is an Associate Professor of International Business and Marketing at California State University LA. She has published more than 50 scholarly journal articles, and conference proceedings with emphasis on innovation, entrepreneurial orientation, firm capabilities, competitive advantage, firm performance, international new ventures, and born global firms. Her research has been published in top tier journals including Journal of International Marketing, Journal of Business Research, and International Business Review. Her articles have received best paper awards from the American Marketing Association, and she has been recipient of the McGraw-Hill Distinguished Paper Award.
Dr. Martin serves in prestigious Editorial Boards including:
- Editorial Review Board of the Journal of Business Research (JBR), impact factor 4.874, cite score 8.9
- Editorial Review Board of the Journal of Innovation and Knowledge (JIK), impact factor 6.027, cite score 7.1
- Section Editor of the Journal of Small Business Strategy (JSBS), impact factor 3.9, cite score 3.9
- Editorial Board of the International Journal of Governance and Finance Intermediation (IJGFI)
Dr. Martin is currently the Representative for the Academy of Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Knowledge (ACIEK) in United States, and she held the role of President of the Association of Collegiate Marketing Educators, Federation of Business Disciplines.
Dr. Martin has taught a variety of courses including Global Business, International Marketing, Marketing Research, Intercultural Business Communication, Marketing Strategy, Marketing Management, and Principles of Marketing, for undergraduate and graduate levels, as well as in Executive Programs. Dr. Martin has extensive international teaching experience in U.K. (University of Bath, Cardiff University, and Bristol Business School), in France (Institut Commercial du Nancy), Italy (La Salle University), and México (Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey-Tec de Monterrey, Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México-ITAM).
Her prior professional experience includes working as a Marketing Manager at a consultancy firm, and previously as a Computer Engineer developing software for the financial industry.
• Velasco Vizcaino, Franklin, Martin, Silvia L., Cardenas, Juan Jose, & Cardenas, Marcelo (2021). Employees' attitudes toward corporate social responsibility programs: The influence of corporate frugality and polychronicity organizational capabilities. Journal of Business Research, 124, 538–546. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2020.11.016
• Martin, Silvia L., Javalgi, Raj. G., & Ciravegna, Luciano, (2020). Marketing capabilities and international new venture performance: The mediation role of marketing communication and the moderation effect of Technological Turbulence. Journal of Business Research, 107 (25-37). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2019.09.044
• Martin, Silvia L., Javalgi Raj, (2019). Explaining performance determinants: A knowledge based view of international new ventures, Journal of Business Research, 101, 615-626. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2019.02.041
• Martin, Silvia L., & Javalgi Raj, (2018). Epistemological foundations of international entrepreneurship, International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 1-10, https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s11365-018-0517-4.pdf
• Martin, Silvia L., Javalgi Raj, Ciravegna Luciano (2018). Service Advantage Built on Service Capabilities: An Empirical Inquiry of International New Ventures. Journal of Business Research, Vol 88 Issue July, pp. 371-381, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0148296318300250
• Anderson, Jeffrey, Martin, Silvia L., Lee, Ruby (2018). Lobbying as a potent political marketing tool for firm performance: A closer look. Psychology and Marketing, Vol 35 Issue 7, pp. 1-11, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/mar.21102
• Stretch-Stephenson Shirley, Martin, Silvia L., Houston H. Rika, (2018). Using Visual Retail Atmospheric Audits in Retailing Education. Journal of Marketing Development and Competitiveness, Vol 12, Issue 4, pp. 126-133, ISSN 2155-2843. https://doi.org/10.33423/jmdc.v12i4.204
• Martin, Silvia L., Javalgi Raj, Cavusgil Erin (2017). Marketing capabilities, positional advantage, and performance of born global firms: Contingent effect of ambidextrous innovation. International Business Review, Vol 26 Issue 3, pp. 527-543 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibusrev.2016.11.006 , ISSN 0969-5931
• Martin, Silvia L., Javalgi Raj, (2016). Entrepreneurial Orientation, Marketing Capabilities and Performance: The Moderating Role of Competitive Intensity on Latin American International New Ventures. Journal of Business Research, Vol 69 Issue 6, pp. 2040-2051, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2015.10.149 , ISSN 0148-2963
• Hughes Matthew, Martin, Silvia L., Morgan Robert E., Robson Matthew, (2010) Realizing Product-Market Advantage in High Technology International New Ventures: The mediating Role of Ambidextrous Innovation. Journal of International Marketing. Vol. 18 Issue 4 (December), pp. 1-21. http://journals.ama.org/doi/abs/10.1509/jimk.18.4.1 ISSN 1547-7215.
PhD, Cardiff University, U.K. (AACSB Accredited)
MBA (Honors), BS Computer Science Engineer (Honors), Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México – ITAM