Undergraduate Certificate Program in Applied Gerontology
The Applied Gerontology Institute offers an Interdisciplinary Certificate in Applied Gerontology. This program is designed to assist individuals interested in increasing their knowledge, understanding, skills, and effectiveness in working with older populations, especially culturally diverse communities. The Program is not only for individuals interested in careers in gerontology but also those who are seeking a career change and those already in their field seeking to enhance their promotional opportunities.
Specific objectives of the program include the provision of opportunities to:
- Develop an understanding of the biological, psychological and sociological processes of older adult maturation and aging.
- Address current and future demographic trends of the aging population and implications for health and social services program development and service delivery.
- Learn about conceptual frameworks in providing culturally sensitive and meaningful health and social services to older adults from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Explore the techniques of problem identification and assessment, problem-solving strategies and methods utilized by various human service disciplines, including their respective roles in providing services to older adults.
- Integrate theory and practice in a field setting.
- Pursue special interest in aging through elective courses.
- Analyze the processes of aging in culturally diverse communities and society in general.
Completion of 90 quarter (60 semester) units of baccalaureate level course work or its equivalent or; consent of the Director of the Applied Gerontology Institute, if the student is undecided about a major or enrolling through Extended Education.
How do I apply and what courses do I take?
Students may come to our office and pick up an application. Applications are placed outside our office window. You can call our office to request information on the Certificate Program to be sent via postal mail or email. Please click brochure link below to see list of course.
Certificate in Applied Gerontology Brochure:
Application for Certificate in Applied Gerontology:
After you apply and have been accepted to the program:
Keep track of your courses, and keep in touch with the staff here to assist in advancing your certificate completion, especially when planning the fieldwork. An internship packet needs to be picked up and filled out prior to start of your internship.
HHS 4950 Internship Packet:
Upon completing the courses:
Students need to fill out the verification of completion form in order to process their certificate.
Verification of Completion Form: