Cal State LA School of Social Work
Field Education Department – Field Instructor Training
On behalf of Cal State LA’s School of Social Works’ Field Education department, we welcome you to our BSW and MSW Field Instructor Certification Training. Throughout the year, we are available for consultation and we look forward to working closely with you and your student.
The modules have been developed to provide Field Instructors with knowledge and skills rooted within the BSW and MSW mission, goals, and objectives to effectively supervise social work interns.
The Field Instructor Certification Training is reciprocal with other schools of social work in the region; therefore, you may take our online training if you have students from other schools. However, we ask that you check the policies, procedures, and formats for your student’s school to be sure that you are following the school’s requirements as they may be different from those of the School of Social Work at Cal State LA.
We thank you for your interest in training our Social Work students!
Please note that our online Field Instructor Certification Training is only open to those who have pre-registered with our department.
Unfortunately, we will be unable to provide CEU credit for the completion of the Field Instructor online training.
Thank you for understanding!
1. Begin by clicking on the first of the ten training modules below.
2. Read through each module.
3. Once each module has been read and reviewed, please complete the Field Instructor Certification Training Comprehensive Exam found after the 10th module below.
4. Please make sure to include your name and title on your exam.
5. After completing the comprehensive exam, we ask that you also complete the Field Instructor Certification Training Evaluation found after the comprehensive exam below.
6. Email your completed comprehensive exam and evaluation document to Nelly Carrillo Barajas at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 10, 2018.
FIELD INSTRUCTOR TRAINING MODULES:
1. Welcome to the Field Instructor Training
2. Field Instructor Roles and Responsibilities
3. Principles of Effective Supervision
4. Targeted Strategies for Field Instruction
5. Field Documentation
6. Common Rater Errors and Biases
7. Ethical Conduct and Legal Issues in Field Supervision
8. Cross Cultural Development in Social Work Field Education
9. Resolution of Problems in Field