2020-2021 Winter Break Closure
During winter break Cal State LA Residential Communities (Phase I & II) will remain open. For those residents who will be moving out permanently at the end of the fall 2020 semester, information will be sent to you directly outlining specific details for the end of contract check out procedures. For those who will be returning for the spring 2021 semester, below you will find what you need to know for winter break closing policies and procedures. It is important that you attend the required community meetings and comply with the end of the semester cleaning expectations.
Winter Break begins 2 p.m. Saturday, December 19, 2020
Residential students who indicate they are going home for the winter break must submit their apartment keys to the Housing Office upon their departure. Residents returning from winter break can begin moving back starting Friday, January 22, 2020 at 9 a.m.
Housing Loop Closure
This is a reminder that due to an on-going campus construction project, the housing loop and Parking lot 7A will remain closed. Vehicles will not have access to the loop or Parking lot 7A for the duration of the project.
Due to the restricted access to the housing loop and Parking lot 7A, please plan accordantly loading and off-loading to and from your apartments. We recommend utilization of a personal dolly. For those that reside in Buildings 3, 4 and 5, you may consider using the Paseo Rancho Castilla street access points for loading.
Check-out and Key Return Procedures
We ask that you consider a departure date that is within 24 hours after your last final exam. The residential community 24 hour quiet policy will be in full effect and there will not be any social programs during finals.
Students, departing for the winter break will be required to check-out and return bedroom and apartment keys. We ask that you return keys by 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 19, 2020. Keys will be re-distributed to you upon your return to campus for the spring semester.
- Fall check out begins Monday, December 7, 2020, at 10 a.m. and ends Saturday, December 19, 2020, at 2:00 p.m.
- Students will report to the Housing Office in Phase II to return keys via express check out.
- Please have all of the items you would like to take with you packed and removed from your apartment before turning in your keys and checking out. If your contract has ended, please have all of your items packed and removed.
- Residents of Phase I & II, your bedroom key and front door core key must be returned at the time of your check-out.
- After you have returned your keys to the Community Center your access will be deactivated and apartment checked for compliance with closing procedures.
Winter Break Closing Info Sessions
Join us for the monthly required community meeting (Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 5 p.m.) so that you are updated on winter break procedures. A Resident Director will be presenting information that you will need to know.
Stayover Requests (Late Departures)
Any resident that needs to request a late departure due to extenuating circumstances will need to submit an official request for a Stayover by email no later than Monday, December 14, 2020. Stayover requests may not exceed a stay beyond 2:00 p.m. Monday, December 21, 2020. All requests submitted will be reviewed by our staff and if approved or denied, additional information will be emailed to you.
All approved late departures are subject to the following:
- A per night rental fee charged to your student account for the additional night(s) of stay.
- Abiding by all terms and conditions of the most active license agreement as well as regulations outlined in the Student Guide.
Phase I & II Room Type
24-hour quiet hours will begin at 12:00 a.m. on Saturday, December 12, 2020, and will extend until 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 19. Students have scheduled exams on the final day of check out therefore quiet hours will be in effect and those not taking exams are asked that they and guest assisting with their move out adhere to the 24-hour quiet period.
Meal plans will stop working after 12:30 p.m. Monday, December 21, 2020. The Dining Commons will be open for brunch only on this day.
Preparing Your Room for Break
You must leave your room and apartment clean and in good condition. Any spaces left in atrocious conditions will be cleaned by a contract cleaning service and residents responsible for space will be assessed the cost of cleaning.
Before You Leave, You Must Do The Following (Checklist)
- CLEAN your room and all shared spaces such as the kitchen, bathroom, living room, and storage room if applicable.
- Vacuum and sweep floors
- Discard perishable foods and clean your fridge and cabinets
- Clean stovetop, oven, and microwave (including the plate inside)
- Remove all trash to proper dumpster locations
- Make sure all faucets are turned off
- REMOVE all personal items from the bathroom as housing staff and/or contractors will enter to conduct an inspection and address maintenance and repairs. Personal items remaining may cause for delays. Please see Notice of Entry below
- SHUT OFF and UNPLUG all electrical equipment (TV’s, alarm clocks, coffee machines, etc.) and appliances - DO NOT UNPLUG THE FRIDGE.
- TURN OFF all lights
- TURN OFF A/C and Heating units
- CLOSE and LOCK all windows and doors as you depart. We also strongly recommend the closing of all blinds
- PICK UP your mail and packages. Residents will not be able to pick up mail after they have checked out for winter break. No mail will be forwarded over winter break. Please make all necessary arrangements with family, friends and mail order service. Only residents residing on campus for winter break will be given access to limited mail services.
- SUBMIT WORK ORDERS: If something in your room is broken or not properly working, now is the time to fill out a Work Order online: http://www.calstatela.edu/housing/work-orders
Notice of Entry to Room Over Break for Maintenance
Housing personnel including facilities staff may possibly enter your room for routine maintenance. Items in the kitchen can be stored in cabinets but the counter and area under the sink must be cleared. Items in the bathroom shower/tub and sink must be cleared. Housing staff will bag your items and remove them from these areas.
The floor must be clear of all items for Housing staff to be able to come into the apartment spaces; no trash, clothing, or other items that may obstruct their path.
Annual Food Pantry Donation
We know this time of year is a great time to empty out your cabinets and donate those items that may no longer be of use to you and your roommates but may be of service to others in our community. Housing and Res Life will place bins in Phase II for non-perishable food collection. All residents are welcomed to drop off donations.
No Re-entry to Buildings Over Break
For residents departing campus for the entire winter break, you will have access to check-in, receive keys and move back into the residential building as early as Friday, January 22, 2020, at 9 a.m. Remember to take all medications, travel items and anything else needed during the break with you. Additionally, mail and packages will not be forwarded to temp addresses therefore if you are expecting a package please make the necessary arrangements to ensure delivery before your departure. All mail will remain unprocessed with the office and university is closed until we re-open for services. Only students residing on-campus during winter housing will be permitted to retrieve packages.
Parking and Pick-up
As you make travel arrangements for the break, please refer to the following information and share it with family members and friends who will be picking you up.
- Residents are responsible for checking the Parking & Transportation website for information regarding parking rules and regulations: http://www.calstatela.edu/parking/vistor-parking
- All regular university traffic and parking rules and regulations apply.
- No vehicles may be parked on sidewalks, fire lanes, housing loop driveway or unauthorized parking areas.
- No unauthorized vehicles may park in ADA parking spaces.
- All parking lots and garages on campus require permits (student, staff or daily visitor) as indicated per lot or garage regulations.
Residential parking will relocate to Parking Structure E, near Lot 5 beginning December 20. Students with fall 2020 parking permits are welcome to leave their vehicle in parking structure E during the winter break period. All vehicles left behind MUST have a valid virtual permit to avoid parking violations and towing. Visit the Parking & Transportation website to purchase your virtual residential permit.
Re-Opening in January
The residential community will begin the spring term on Friday, January 22, 2020, at 9 a.m. for new and returning residents.
- You must check-in upon returning
- You will pick up and sign for your keys.
- You must confirm your return to Housing for the spring semester to avoid administrative charges for an improper return.
- All outstanding housing balances must be paid prior to your return to campus in the spring. You will not be able to check back into your space if you have an outstanding balance on your housing account.
- Monitor your Cal State LA email as housing will be sending out notifications and reminders. If you have any questions, call Housing at (323) 343-4800 or email email@example.com.
- Start cleaning, storing and packing for your departure now. You have probably accumulated a lot more items than you realize, and finals week may not provide enough time for you to sort through and decide what you want to bring home before closing. Remember those returning for spring do not have to take all items home only take what you need and neatly arrange and store the rest.
- Check your mailbox before you leave and remove all items. Don’t forget to contact family and friends to notify them about mail services being closed in housing during the Winter Break. Make sure perishable care packages are not sent as they will spoil.
- Do not leave belongings unattended in courtyards, loading docks and parking lots as you pack vehicles to depart campus.
- After you leave, a Housing and Res Life staff members will re-check your rooms and units for safety, cleaning and maintenance concerns. You will be held accountable if you did not leave your room in proper condition (see checklist above) or are in violation of university policy.