Other Campus Collections
In addition to the collections in the Library, a rich
array of other information resources is available on campus. The collections
listed below are independently managed by individual CSLA departments
of Visual Resources - FA 332
- (323) 343-4018
- (323) 343-4045 (fax)
Robert Evans, Curator of Visual Resources
- Mon - Thurs 7:00am to 5:30pm
- Contains collection of over 200,000 mostly color slides of visual
images supporting the teaching requirements of the Art Department
faculty. Subjects covered include painting, sculpture, architecture,
drawing and graphics, photography, ceramics, textiles, manuscripts, mosaics, typography, design, jewelry, crafts, furniture and accessories, costume, etc., spanning all eras and artists in both western and non-western cultures. There are many separate special collections which include CSLA Masters shows, street art, puppetry, erotic art, Chicano art, collage, masks, perspective, elements of art, etc. Additional visual materials include almost 200 videotapes on art, large art prints, and an art collection. Materials are available for check-out by faculty and students from all departments.
- Visual Resources is developing a database which will allow patrons
to call up digitized art images and accompanying cataloging data on
computer monitors. Over 5000 images to date have been scanned for
this project. The facility include four Power Mac stations, a slide
scanner, flatbed scanner, and a CD-ROM maker, all of which allow staff
and faculty to produce visual presentations for classes. Within the
facility are two 17" monitors which allow students to study images
shown in their art classes and to do research on the Internet.
- Career Planning Library - CC
- (323) 343-3237
- Mon & Thurs 8am to 6pm, Tues & Wed 8am to 7:30 p.m. and Fri 8am to 4pm
- The Career Center has collection of book materials arranged by career categories (i.e., music, engineering, etc.) and general books on job hunting,
interviewing, resume preparation, etc. Videotape collection
includes materials on interviewing techniques, etc., and employer-
furnished information. Collection also includes information from both governmental and private employers about working for their organizations. Materials are for room use only by currently registered students. Photocopy and video viewing facilities are available.
- LITERACY (Education)
- Literacy Resource Lab - KH C 2092A
- (323) 343-4347
- Mon - Thurs 3pm to 6pm, and by appointment
- This new CSLA collection is provided by the CSLA Charter School of Education Literacy Cluster. It provides a wide selection of children's literature, including class book sets of 25 copies each of selected titles and small group sets of 4-6. There are also Reading and Language Arts teacher's guides, student material, textbook adoptions, computer software, and lesson plans. Some professional journals are also availalble.
- Map Library - KH D 4044
- (323) 343-2225
- Mon and Tues 10am to 6pm, Wed 10am to 2pm
- Has extensive collections of maps issued by U. S. government
agencies. Contains the U. S. Geological Survey topographic maps of
the 10 western states, with state indexes. Also has Defense
Mapping Agency (DMA) nautical and aeronautical charts. Has world maps in
various scales, as well as an
important historical urban plan collection of early maps of world
both plan and bird's eye views. Also has numerous roll maps.
Various printed indexes, as well as a card catalog employing a modified Library of Congress cataloging system, are used for access to the materials in the collections.
- Most materials are available for faculty and staff check-out. Irreplaceable maps and DMA restricted series may not be checked out. Students have restricted borrowing privileges for
limited classroom use.