Cal State LA transforms lives and fosters thriving communities across greater Los Angeles. We cultivate and amplify our students' unique talents, diverse life experiences, and intellect through engaged teaching, learning, scholarship, research, and public service that support their overall success, well-being, and the greater good.
Cal State LA will be internationally recognized as the premier comprehensive public university in greater Los Angeles. We are dedicated to delivering cutting-edge academic programs that prepare students to be innovative leaders in both their professional and civic lives and to serving the public good through initiatives that engage local, regional, and global communities in mutually beneficial partnerships.
- Students First – We put our students' academic success, career-readiness, and well-being at the center of everything we do.
- Pushing Boundaries – We set ambitious goals to challenge and inspire us, benefitting our role as L.A.'s premier comprehensive public university.
- Engagement, Service, and the Public Good – We foster meaningful, collaborative relationships that contribute to the public good among the University community, alumni, and local, regional, and global communities.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion – We cultivate diversity, expect cultural competence, and actively seek perspectives and engagement from all constituents in our community, to develop just and equitable expectations.
- Student Engagement – We encourage our students to take ownership of their own campus experiences by seeking opportunities that promote inclusion, a sense of belonging, and leadership.
- Engaged Teaching and Learning – We cultivate and amplify our students' unique talents, diverse life experiences, and intellect through engaged teaching, learning, scholarship, research and vibrant student life.
- Academic Distinction – We foster and promote academic distinction through innovation, academic rigor and the pursuit of lifelong learning.
- Community of Scholars – We foster a community of scholars among faculty and students engaged in research, scholarship, and creative accomplishments.
- A Culture of Excellence – We encourage and expect all members of our University community to pursue academic, professional, and personal excellence.
- Transparent Collaborative Decision-Making – We make data-informed, evidence-based decisions and are collaborative and transparent in our approach and communication.
- Mutual Respect – We are committed to cultivating a supportive and accepting environment where each of us commits to fostering a culture of respect for all.
- Academic Freedom – We promote academic freedom and professional ethics.