Luckman unveils new season of international talents
Bayanihan dance, ÂPsychic OutlawsÂ to kick off 2010-11 Luckman season
Coming to the Luckman Fine Arts Complex at Cal State L.A. this season will be more than two dozen artists, musicians, dancers and performers from 17 countries.
The Luckman will showcase numerous prestigious music headliners and jazz legends, among the best in international dance, works by renowned visual artists and more.
With a repertory exhibiting the rich history of the Philippines, the Bayanihan Philippine National Dance Company will kick off the 2010-11 season on Saturday, Sept. 25, 8 p.m., at the Luckman Theatre. The Bayanihan company was founded in 1957 in an effort to preserve Filipino culture and showcase its dance traditions.
On the same evening at 6 p.m., the Luckman Gallery will also open with an exhibition, inspired by Annie BuckleyÂs recently-released novel Psychic Outlaws, displaying the works of 19 contemporary artists from Los Angeles.
On Thursday, Oct. 2, 6:30 p.m., the community is welcome to enjoy a free outdoor concert at the Luckman Street of the Arts. The evening concertÂpresented by the 20-member Luckman Jazz OrchestraÂwill pay tribute to jazz master Lee Morgan.
Look ahead to other exciting season events:
- Chucho ValdÃ©s + The Afro-Cuban Messengers (October 16, 8 p.m.)
- World Arts Day: DÃa de los Muertos (October 30, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- La Compagnie Pavlov: Vestiges/Vertiges (November 6, 8 p.m.)
- Matisyahu (November 13, 8 p.m.)
- Tropical Vulture Â Gallery opening (November 20, 6 p.m.)
- Grandeza Mexicana (December 6, 8 p.m.)
- Luckman Jazz Orchestra: Holiday Jazz (December 11, 8 p.m.)
- Banquet of the Black Jackal Â Gallery opening (January 22, 6 p.m.)
- Yann Tiersen (January 29, 8 p.m.)
- TournÃ©es French Film Festival (February 10-11 at various showtimes)
- Keren Ann (February 12, 8 p.m.)
- Kibbutz Contemporary Dance Company (February 19, 8 p.m.)
- Paco PeÃ±a: Â¡Flamenco Vivo! (February 26, 8 p.m.)
- Kailash Kher (March 5, 8 p.m.)
- Luckman Jazz Orchestra: Dexter Gordon (March 12, 8 p.m.)
- Yasmin Levy (March 19, 8 p.m.)
- Support > System Â Gallery opening (April 2, 6 p.m.)
- Madeleine Peyroux (April 9, 8 p.m.)
- Beijing LDTX (April 16, 8 p.m.)
- Nortec Collective presents Bostich & Fussible (May 7, 8 p.m.)
- Bodytraffic (May 14, 8 p.m.)
- Luckman Jazz Orchestra: Clifford Brown Tribute (May 21, 8 p.m.)
- Ahn Trio (June 4, 8 p.m.)
- AngÃ©lique Kidjo (June 18, 8 p.m.)
Adjacent to Alhambra and Monterey Park, just five miles east of downtown Los Angeles, the Luckman Fine Arts Complex features two state-of-the-art theatres and a critically-acclaimed art gallery on the CSULA campus. The Luckman has earned a reputation for presenting the best in world-class music, dance, theatre, and visual arts programming in a beautiful, accessible setting. Performance tickets can now be reserved at the Luckman Box Office, (323) 343-6600.
Quick links to reference:
- 2010-11 Luckman seasonÂs announcement:
- Listing of Luckman events:
- Upcoming gallery exhibits:
- Ticket information:
- Luckman website: