Applying for Educational Benefits

Benefits for Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard, and Veterans

Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) - Chapter 30

The MGIB-AD program—sometimes known as Chapter 30—provides education benefits to veterans and service members who have at least two years of active duty.

Visit website ►

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) - Chapter 31

You may receive Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) services to help with job training, employment accommodations, resume development, and job seeking skills coaching. Other services may be provided to assist veterans in starting their own businesses or independent living services for those who are severely disabled and unable to work in traditional employment.

Visit website ►

Post- 9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33

If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program.

​Visit website ►

Montgomery GI Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) - Chapter 1606

MGIB-SR program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components and VA makes the payments.

Visit website ►

Benefits for Dependents of Military Veterans and Service Members

Transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill to Spouse and Dependents - Chapter 33

The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows service members to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The request to transfer unused GI Bill benefits to eligible dependents must be completed while servicing as an active member of the Armed Forces.  The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family. Once the DoD approves benefits for transfer, the new beneficiaries apply for them at VA. 

Visit website ►

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship)

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) provides Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to the children and surviving spouses of service members who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001. Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level.

Visit website ►

Dependents Education Assistance Program - Chapter 35

The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

Visit website ►

California Veterans Fee Waiver Program (CalVet Fee Waiver)

The College Tuition Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependents benefit waives mandatory system-wide tuition and fees at any State of California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus. This program does not cover the expense of books, parking or room and board.

​Visit website ►


How to Certify Benefits

The following instructions apply to students using the following benefits: Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30), Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31), Post 9-11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35).

  • Student applies for VA educational benefits via VONAPP.
  • 3-4 weeks later VA generates a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). The COE details the amount of benefits a student veteran or dependent qualifies for and for how long.
  • Student provides Cal State LA with copy of COE. If student does not have a COE by their class registration appointment, they can use the E-Benefits or WAVES website printouts as proof until letter arrives.
  • Student registers for courses.
  • Student must submit the Veterans Information Card (VIC) to the Veterans Resource Center after they register for classes. The VIC needs to be submitted every term a student veteran or dependent wishes to be certified.


Cal Veterans Fee Waiver Program instructions:

  • Veteran must apply to California Veterans Service Office (CVSO) to get approval letter.
  • Check online  for nearest Cal Vet office.
  • Letter mailed to student and Cal State LA.
  • Recommended student bring in copy of letter when they receive it.
  • Fee waiver runs from Fall semester thru Summer term of following year.
  • Cal State LA veterans certifying official will code those that qualify to exempt payment of mandatory state tuition fees.
  • ONLY STATE SUPPORTED COURSES WILL BE EXEMPT (i.e., most summer classes are not state supported).


Please be advised that the VA typically takes 3-4 weeks to process education benefits requests.

If you need to be paid in a timely manner, please submit all request early as possible.