College of Arts & LettersPosition:
Department of English
Beginning Fall 2022
Minimum Requirements for Applying to the TA Program
- Successful completion of ENGL 5055 by the end of Spring 2022
- 3.5 GPA in the Master’s Program
Conditions of Employment
1) TAs will be appointed at Teaching Associate Range A.
2) TAs must participate in the paid post-appointment training.
3) Every TA will be observed by the First-Year Writing Director in the TA’s first semester of teaching and, thereafter, as deemed necessary; TAs are also encouraged to schedule individual conferences with the First-Year Writing Director to discuss their teaching practices and questions.
4) TAs will be reappointed at the discretion of the Department Chair, upon recommendation by the First-Year Writing Director and contingent upon successful performance and class availability.
5) TAs will not be given assignments during semesters when they are employed full-time elsewhere unless a formal written appeal has been made and approved by the First-Year Writing Director and the Department Chair.
6) TAs must maintain a 3.5 GPA on their master’s program in order to remain in the TA program and remain eligible for assignments; any students who fall below that level will need to re-apply to the Graduate Studies Committee for reinstatement as TAs when their GPAs return to a 3.5.
The training program consists of the following components:
- TAs must complete an orientation program conducted by the English Department prior to the beginning of the academic year serving as a TA. The Summer 2022 TA Orientation and Training will consist of four all-day training sessions from Monday, August 1 to Thursday, August 4, 2022. TAs must be available to participate fully in all four days of training
- TAs must participate in bi-weekly one-hour long training during the semesters in which they are TAing.
- TAs will be paid for their participation in the summer orientation as well as the biweekly training.
Teaching Course Load
Teaching Associates will teach one 3-unit First-Year Writing course per semester.
Teaching Associates will be appointed at Teaching Associate Range A.
California State University, Los Angeles (Cal State LA) is one of 23 campuses within the California State University system. The University is the premier comprehensive public university in the heart of Los Angeles. Cal State LA is ranked number one in the U.S. for the upward mobility of its students, and is dedicated to engagement, service, and the public good. We offer nationally recognized programs in science, the arts, business, criminal justice, engineering, nursing, education, ethnic studies, and the humanities. Our faculty have a strong commitment to scholarship, research, creative pursuits, community engagement, and service.
Our 240,000 alumni reflect the City and County’s dynamic mix of populations. The University has one of the most diverse student populations of any college or university in the nation. As a federally recognized Hispanic-Serving Institution, and Asian-American, Native American, and Pacific Islander-Serving Institution, Cal State LA recognizes the transformative power of education and embraces its duty to identify and serve the needs of all of its students. The University is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can live, work and learn in an atmosphere of civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual.
Standard documentation includes: letter of application, curriculum vita, GET print-out verifying enrollment in a program of graduate study in this department, three letters of recommendation and the University’s Application for Academic Employment Form.
Teaching Associate Program Application:
Teaching Associate Program Recommendation Form:
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
To apply to the TA program, applicants must submit the following to the English Department (email@example.com) by 5:00 PM on Friday, April 1st, 2022.
1. TA application form, available in the English Department Advisement Office (E&T A638) or as a downloadable PDF (see above);
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Transcripts of post-secondary work (unless degrees are from Cal State LA);
4. A writing sample of approximately 10 pages demonstrating proficiency in academic discourse;
5. Completed recommendation forms from three Cal State LA faculty (forms available in the English Department Advisement Office (E&T A638) or as a downloadable PDF (see below); and
6. Cover letter for the application materials (the cover letter should indicate why the applicant is interested in the TA program and how the applicant will use the experience as a component of his or her graduate experience at Cal State LA; if the applicant has taught in the past, then he or she should provide evidence and also include a description of any previous teaching experience in the cover letter).
Address applications, required documentation and/or requests for information to:
Department of English
California State University, Los Angeles
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032-8162
Application Review Process
Students will be selected as Teaching Associates based on the quality of past academic performance, their potential for teaching, and their demonstrated ability or potential to work effectively and collegially with students, staff, and faculty. All applications will be reviewed by the Curriculum Committee and the First-Year Writing Director. All qualified applications will be ranked. Numerical rankings and openings available will determine entry into the TA Program.
Note: The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to OfficeHRM@calstatela.edu.
Beginning January 1, 2022, campuses may not hire or reappoint an Employee to perform CSU-related work outside of California. Requests for exceptions are very limited based on CSU Policy and must have prior written approval from the University President.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
In addition to meeting fully its obligations under federal and state law, Cal State LA is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can live, work and learn in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual. To that end, all qualified individuals will receive equal consideration without regard to economic status, race, ethnicity, color, religion, marital status, pregnancy, national origin or cultural background, political views, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, age, disability, disabled veteran or Vietnam era veteran status.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/TITLE IX EMPLOYER
Upon request, reasonable accommodation will be provided to individuals with protected disabilities to (a) complete the employment process and (b) perform essential job functions when this does not cause undue hardship.