Department of Psychology

The Department of Psychology Peer Advisement Center


Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. How many units do I need to graduate?

  • 180 quarter units total
  • 72-80 quarter units in Psychology
  • 45 units at CSULA; including 36 Upper Division units and 18 units in major

    Q2. I've completed my G.E. requirements and my requirements for the major. Am I now ready to graduate?

  • No. The university also requires students to complete the General Education Upper Division Theme requirement. Moreover, the student is still required to not only meet the course requirements but also the unit requirement (180 units). Just completing the course requirements will not necessarily meet the unit requirement.

    Q3. What determines which University catalog I am required to follow in order to meet graduation requirements?

  • Students have two catalog years that will dictate what requirements they will need to adhere to. The General Education Catalog determines the general education courses a student is required to take while their Major Catalog determines the courses in their major that they will have to take. A student's G.E. catalog is the year a student begins continuous attendance at a college (including community college) while the Major Catalog is determined by the year the student declares their major.

    Q4. When will I know officially how many units I have transferred from other schools and what requirements these classes have fulfilled?

  • You will get a Transfer Credit Evaluation sheet from the university. This sheet will show you how many units CSLA will accept, how many of these classes will fulfill General Education requirements, and which classes in Psychology have transferred. If you have any questions about this sheet, feel free to see an advisor at either the Psy. Peer Advisement or Natural and Social Science office (KH D1044).

    Q5. How many units can I bring in from an accredited community college?

  • You can apply a total of 105 quarter units toward a CSLA degree.

    Q6. I was on the semester system. How will my units transfer into the quarter system?

  • Semester units transfer to the quarter system at the rate of 1½ quarter units per semester unit. Thus, three semester units will transfer over to CSLA as 4.5 quarter units.

    Q7. Can I take a class at a community college or another 4 year school for transfer while I am attending CSULA? Summer session at a community college?

  • Yes. See University catalog under "Concurrent Enrollment"; Students can be enrolled in another community or university but the student should fill out a "Notification of Dual Registration" form at Student Affairs Rm. 101 by the end of the third week of the quarter involved.

    Q8. I received a "D" in a core course. Can I take the class over or in some way better the "D"? What about an "F" or "U"?

  • Yes. You may retake the course for a better grade if you received a D, F, or U. The original low grade will remain on your transcript (not erased), but it will not be included in the calculation of the GPA. You must fill out a repeat course petition by the add deadline of the quarter you will be repeating the course.

    Q9. How do I get into closed classes?

  • If you get a message by the STAR system notifying you that a course is full, you will be put on a waiting list (but it won't tell you what number you are on the waiting list). Thus, you can still try to add the class during the first session because you might be on the waiting list. Even if you may not be on the waiting list you can still try to add the class during the first session.

    Q10. May I take the same courses to satisfy both the G.E. upper division theme requirements and as well as Psychology major requirements?

  • No. You may not have one class count for both the upper division theme and the Psy. major requirement. You are not supposed to take Psychology courses to satisfy the Upper Division Theme; this also applies to cross listed courses. (e.g., NURS/PSY 307).

    Q11. Can seniors receive graduate credit as an undergraduate course?

  • Yes. In your final quarter of undergraduate study, you may apply toward graduate credit a maximum of 8 units in courses beyond the minimum requirements for the baccalaureate, provided you had maintained a minimum 2.5 grade point average in all upper division work. See pg. 81 of University Catalog for further details.

    Q12. Can I get credit by examination for courses?

  • Yes. If you are in good standing and officially enrolled in the University you may challenge courses, with the approval of the instructor, by taking examinations developed at the campus. See pg. 51 of University Catalog for further details.

    Q13. What should I do if I have complaints about an instructor's behavior?

  • If possible, students should try to resolve complaints informally with the instructor and/or the Chair of the department. More formal greivance procedures can be found in the Eagle Guide or by accessing the World Wide Web at /sites/default/files/stuaffrs/.

    Q14. What opportunities are available for helping experiences in Psychology?

  • Experience can be gained through the Educational Participation in Communities office (EPIC) (323) 343-3380.

  • Experience can be gained through working at the Psychology Peer Advisement Center as a Peer Adviser. Units earned through Peer Advisement can be used toward your major.

  • Psychology 398 Cooperative Education permits students to gain elective academic credit for discipline related work

    Q15. Can Psychology courses be taken Credit/No Credit?

  • Yes, if that class is not being used to fulfill a requirement in the Psychology major the class may be taken on a CR/NC basis. See pg. 56 of University Catalog for further details.

    Q16. How did I end up on academic probation? Is it possible to graduate with a "D" in a course required for your major?

  • In any given quarter, if your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0, you may be placed on academic probation. See pg. 57 and 58 of the University catalog for details about probation and disqualification. You may graduate with a "D" in a course required for the major so long as you have enough grade points to achieve a 2.0 average in both your major and the overall coursework youÂ’ve taken at CSULA.

    Q17. May I participate in the June graduation ceremony even if I don't finish my degree program until the Summer Session?

  • Officially, students who applied for graduation after the Fall quarter are expected to participate in the graduation ceremony the following June. Unofficially, students may participate in the ceremony the preceding June. Your name will appear on the commencement program in June only if you applied for graduation during the Fall quarter.

    Q18. Where do I go to get counseling on how to make my way in college or on such topics as drugs, sex, parental and personal problems?

  • You can get personal counseling on such issues at the Student Health Center. You can call (323) 343-3302.

    Q19. How do I withdraw from a course?

  • You are responsible for withdrawing from a course either through the STAR system or in person depending on the time in the semester you drop the course. Do not assume the instructor will drop you from the class if you stop attending classes. See the calendar in the Schedule of Classes for relevant deadlines.

    Q20. Is it necessary for everyone to see the Peer Advisors/Undergraduate Advisor?

  • Yes. At some point in your academic career, ideally in the beginning, you will need to fill out an official Psychology contract. The completed contract is required from you in order to determine what coursework will apply toward your major requirements. This contract can only be done when you see a Peer Advisor or Undergraduate Advisor.

    Q21. Should I seek advice from other Psychology faculty besides the Undergraduate Advisor?

  • Students concerned about graduate work and careers should definitely seek the opinions of several faculty members. There are many views and opinions about graduate school, so try to get a range of perspectives. Keep in mind that your plans for graduate school should conform to your career objectives.

    Q22. Where do I go for information about graduate school and the application process?

  • Obtaining information about graduate study is a complex process. You will need to ask questions of many people. Read general literature, check the Psychology Department Webpage for information on professional organizations and career planning available on the internet and write to the schools which interest you for applications and specific information. The Peer Advisement office has catalogs of most universities, both private and public. In addition, both the Peer Advisement Office and the library have copies of Graduate Study in Psychology, which lists most university programs nationally.

    Q23. What happens if I want to take a quarter or a year off?

  • A student wishing to take time off from school should request an Educational Leave of Absence. Undergraduate students may request a leave for no fewer than 3 and no more than 8 quarters. Petitions must be filed at Administration 146.