Page Title - California State University, Los Angeles

Image of Cal State L.A. logo.


Undergraduate Advisement

Students are encouraged to plan their major based on the major requirements (see links to handouts to your right) and to be self-reliant in planning and completing their degree. In addition to the links here, you may obtain information about the Psychology major, including information about graduate programs (Graduate Programs in Psychology) from the Psychology Advising Bulletin Board (located 3rd floor, King Hall, across from north elevators).

Information about careers and graduate programs in Psychology is also available at the American Psychological Association (APA), American Psychological Society (APS), and the Western Psychological Association (WPA) websites.


Advisement Appointments

To schedule an appointment to see a faculty advisor, please contact the Department office at (323) 343-2250. Due to the limited availability of advisors, we cannot accomodate walk-ins.

You can also schedule an appointment with an advisor in the NSS Advisement Center by calling (323) 343-5284. The NSS Advisement Center is located in King Hall, D-wing, Room 1050.

Appointment Cancellation: If you are unable to keep your appointment, we ask that you call our office at (323) 343-2250 as soon as possible to cancel or reschedule.


Transferable Courses

Courses from the community college that are transferable to CSULA include PSY 150 (Introductory Psychology), PSY 170 (Introduction to Physiological Psychology), and PSY 202 (Descriptive Statistics). General Psych 1 and General Psych 2 are examples of courses that will transfer to the major at CSULA. For PSY 202, Math or Business Statistics courses are often transferable; however, all students are required to also complete College Algebra. Lower-division courses completed at the community college cannot fulfill upper-division Psychology requirements. Check Assist for more information on transferable courses.



You will need permission, or a "permit" to register for PSY 202, 302, or 304. You should stop by the department office at least three (3) days prior to your scheduled enrollment date to fill out and submit a permit slip.

The department will verify that you have completed all prerequisites before posting your permit. A permit does not guarantee a seat in the class! It is still your responsibility to add the class once your enrollment date begins. If the section is full, check GET frequently to see if a seat opens up.

Note to New Transfer Students: Permits may also be needed for a PSY course with a prerequisite you may have already completed. If your transcripts have not yet been evaluated, you will get an error each time you try to add the class on GET. If this is the case, bring your unofficial transcripts to the Psychology office, we will verify the prerequiste, and then post a permit that will allow you to add the class (if seats are available).

Applying for Graduation

All CSULA students are required to apply for graduation two quarters before their graduation date (e.g., if you are planning to graduate in Spring, you must file your graduation application the previous Fall; see the Course Schedule for application dates). You can obtain a Graduation Application from Admin. 146; pay the Graduation Application fee, with a stamp from the University Cashier; fill out the forms with all of your personal information; turn in your Graduation Application to the Psychology Dept. office (KH C3104).




California State University, Los Angeles
Public Affairs Office
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032
© 2012 Trustees of the California University