Rules Reminder for Sociology Majors

Rules Reminder for Sociology Majors


Sociology Majors Pursuing Minors in Other Departments:

Students pursuing minors in other departments MUST complete the Minor Program prior to or at the same time as other BA requirements. State law prevents students from enrolling in courses for Minor Program credit when other graduation requirements are fulfilled. Students must get their graduation applications stamped by the Minor Department and obtain a copy of the Minor Program plan for inclusion in the Sociology Department BA Program Graduation Application.


 About Intro to Higher Education Course:

·        All entering freshman MUST take NSS 101

·        All transfer students MUST take NSS 301


About the Diversity Course Requirements:

Students are required to take 8 quarter-units of official diversity courses marked with (d) and listed in the Lower Division GE Blocks & Upper Division GE Themes.

à Students MAY use the SAME courses to simultaneously fulfill GE AND Diversity

à Students may NOT use the same course to simultaneously fulfill Major Program elective AND diversity


About the GE Theme:

Sociology Majors may NOT take sociology courses for credit in the GE Theme; they must take another course offered in the social sciences section of their theme.


About Course Pre-requisites:

Majors MUST take:

·        SOC 201 (or equivalent intro.SOC) BEFORE taking SOC 300-level & 400-level courses.

·        SOC 210a/210b (or equivalent statistics) BEFORE taking SOC 390 (methods).

·        ENG 102 (or equivalent) AND pass WPE exam BEFORE taking SOC 301 writing.

STRONGLY RECOMMEND: Completing SOC 301 and 390 early in the program.


About Sociology Elective Program Courses:

SOME Sociology 300-level courses do NOT count toward Major Program Elective credit, but only toward “free elective” credit, that is, the overall unit-count toward graduation.


The Following courses MAY be taken as Sociology Major Program Electives: SOC 300, SOC 322, SOC 323, SOC 331, SOC 348, & SOC 383. These are options, not requirements.


With prior advisor approval, a student MAY take a MAXIMUM of 8 quarter-units in Upper Division (300/400-level) courses outside of, but relevant to sociology. This is an option NOT a requirement.


About Independent Work (SOC 398/SOC 499):

Independent work is NOT required. It is also NOT a “right.” It is an option and a privilege. Students may NOT apply more than 8-units of independent work toward the Major Program; it does not matter whether such work is taken as 398, 499, or a mixture of both.


SOC 398 is an CR/NC course that requires extensive student applied/community work as well as academic written work in Sociology. To take SOC 398 a student MUST:

·        Have a GPA of at least 2.3 

·        Obtain an acceptable field/community placement

·        Complete a  COOP-ED contract from

·        Obtain signed Permit to Enroll from Instructor agreeing to provide the supervision/grade

·        Enroll in the course.


SOC 499 is a graded course based on student original research or significant student role in an Instructor-project or Institutional-project. To take SOC 499 a student MUST:

·        Have a GPA of at least 2.3 

·        Propose or be accepted as researcher on an acceptable research project

·        Complete a  SOC 499 Contract form

·        Obtain signed Permit to Enroll from Instructor agreeing to provide the supervision/grade.

·        Enroll in the course


About Dropping Courses

Students choosing not to take Sociology courses they registered for MUST complete official DROP procedures whether or not they ever attended. Attend to deadlines! Failure to do so results in a grade of “U” which is the equivalent to an “F” in the GPA.

Remember that drop forms may be left in professor boxes for signatures. The steps are:

·        Students MUST obtain the correct drop slip and complete all sections as directed

·        Students MUST obtain the Course-Instructor signature first

·        Students MUST obtain the Department Chair/Associate Chair signature second.

·        Students continue to follow standard CSLA procedures and deadlines.


About Incompletes

Students unable to complete a Sociology Course MUST:

·        Have the course instructor fill out an Incomplete Grade Agreement form

·        Sign and comply with terms in the required Incomplete Grade Agreement form.

·        Complete the work (within 1 year), otherwise a failing grade will result.

à Students do NOT (and cannot be required to) re-enroll to fulfill an incomplete.


About Filing for Graduation:

Students MUST make an appointment with a Sociology Department Advisor to apply.

Dates to file are in the Quarter Schedule of Classes, and CANNOT be changed.

Students should file approximately 2 ½ quarters before the expected completion of their degree work.

Prior to filing for graduation, Sociology Majors MUST have earned GRADES in at LEAST 145 quarter-units – applications will not be considered by the Graduation Office prior to completion of 145 units.