MFA in Production in TV, Film and Theatre at Cal State LA
LA’s Triple Threat
The MFA in TVFT/Production Option at Cal State LA is a unique program. It is the only California State University campus to offer a three-pronged program in production that offers training in television, film and theatre. It is the only program in Los Angeles, the hub of the entertainment industry, to offer affordable professionally geared training that leads to a MFA degree.
- A progression of production training from the fundamentals skills in live and pre-recorded environments (projection design, art direction, cinematography, motion capture/VR/AR design, editing, sound) to project work and thesis (media or theatre) helping each student grow individually.
- An education in the history of theater, film and television, new media and themed entertainment from their origins to today, as well as the development process, workflow and business of each art.
- An exploration of creative voice and vision, with an emphasis on social justice.
- On-going opportunities to contribute to department productions directed/produced by faculty and guest artists
- On-going opportunities to contribute to graduate and undergraduate theatre and media projects
- On-going opportunities to create your own work and productions
- On-going opportunities to collaborate with the MFA students in the Acting and Writing Options, getting faculty guidance in real-world situations, gaining practical experience and building relationships with your future network
- Annual Showcase production with guest director presented in professional festivals
- On-going networking opportunities with industry partners, guest instructors, speakers
- For new incoming MFA Production Option students: 3 awards of $2500 for the first semester from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA)
- HFPA Academic Achievement awarded once for one semester
- Scholarships: University awards available
- Financial Aid available through the University
GRADUATE ASSISTANTSHIPS & TEACHING ASSOCIATES POSITIONS AVAILABLE
- Annual opportunities for paid positions as a Graduate Assistant to faculty for undergraduate courses.
- Teaching Associate positions available to students who have an extensive background in areas such as cinematography, editing, sound, theater stage production and other specialties.
- We offer a full year of guided teacher training that qualifies students for paid Teaching Associate positions in the undergraduate acting classes.
- Paid Federal Work Study positions for qualified students.