The Master of Social Work, Advanced Standing (MSW-ASP) program in Downtown Los Angeles prepares graduate students for entry into advanced and specialized social work practice where they will be able to provide effective service to individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
The Advanced Standing Program facilitates completion of the MSW degree requirements for students with a bachelor’s degree in social work from an accredited school of social work and allows them to complete their degree in one year. Cal State LA’s program starts with a Summer Term with one three-unit course. Following the successful completion of the summer term, core content from the first year of the traditional MSW program will be waived and students will be Advanced to Candidacy to begin upper-division graduate-level coursework aligned with the traditional program curriculum.
Join our interest list to stay up to date on the latest program news and application windows.
Who Should Enroll?
- Students who have earned their undergraduate degree in the field of Social Work from an accredited school of social work within the past 5-years
- Individuals interested in advanced and specialized social work practice
Register to view/listen to a live OR prerecorded Master of Social Work (ASP) program webinar here.
Tuition & Fees
|Cost Per Unit||$525|
|Total Program Cost*||$17,325|
Learn more about financial assistance opportunities here.
Please read about Graduate Application and Admission.
Read about International Graduate Application and Admission.
A Cal State LA School of Social Work faculty committee will make admission decisions. To be admitted to the Cal State LA MSW ASP program, applicants must meet the admission requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Social Work from a CSWE accredited college or university (completed with the last 5 years)
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale
- Personal statement using School of Social Work writing prompt
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Three (3) reference forms -- one from each of the following:
- Academic (A)
- Integrative Seminar Instructor (F)
- Field Instructor from your BASW internship (F)
- Unofficial transcripts from each college and university attended
F-1 student visas are not available to study in this program.
Important Note: Students pursuing their degree on Cal State LA’s Main Campus may not take courses at Cal State LA Downtown as part of their degree program. Only students admitted to programs offered in Downtown may attend courses at Cal State LA Downtown after paying all required fees. Current Cal State LA students are welcome to pursue a program at Cal State LA Downtown in addition to their degree, but additional fees will apply. Programs offered at Cal State LA Downtown are not transferable to Cal State LA's Main Campus. Students admitted to a program at Cal State LA Downtown are welcome to pursue a program at Cal State LA's Main Campus, but an additional application is required.
View the MSW-ASP curriculum here.*
*Program curriculum is subject to change and requires University approval.
To Apply/Application Deadline
Summer 2022 Start
Master of Social Work: Advanced Standing Program
Online Application Opens: October 1, 2021
Please submit all Official Transcripts by March 4, 2022, to:
Office of Admissions and Recruitment
Cal State LA
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032
Please read Cal State LA's Non-Discrimination Policy here.