MANDATORY PROGRAM FOR ALL INCOMING FRESHMEN IN THE COLLEGE OF ECST
Summer Transition to ECST Program (STEP) facilitates the transition from high school to college and prepares students for the rigors of their academic program in the College of ECST before the start of their first term at Cal State L.A. STEP focuses on reinforcing and developing math skills necessary for lower division major requirements during a seven-week summer program on the Cal State L.A. campus. During the program, students meet other students pursuing their major, connect with ECST student organizations, meet real engineering and tech professionals from industry, obtain general information about the campus and financial aid, and speak to an academic advisor.
Deadline to Register: Register online by Friday, May 12, 2017 at the following link: STEP 2017 Registration
Who Must Attend STEP?
STEP 2017 is required for ALL incoming freshmen in the College of ECST who have placed in College Level Math through a test (i.e., SAT I, ELM, EAP, ACT). If you are currently enrolled in AP Calculus and plan to take the AP exam, you must receive a score of 4 or above to be exempt from STEP. Since AP Calculus test scores may be unpredictable, we encourage you to register for STEP 2017 by the deadline to secure a space. Once we receive your AP scores, you may be exempt from STEP with a score of 4 or 5. However, since STEP addresses more than math preparation, we encourage even students who pass the AP Calculus exam with a 4 or above to consider participating in STEP.
Additional Exemptions: Since STEP is a commuter program, students who live 35 miles or more away from campus may also be exempt. Housing will be available (at the student’s expense) for the STEP program for those who live further away from campus.
STEP 2017 GENERAL INFORMATION
Program Dates: June 19 - August 9, 2017
Schedule: Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Location: Cal State L.A. Campus
Cost: STEP is free of cost. Students will need to purchase textbook(s), meals, transportation and/or parking costs.
Housing: Although STEP is unable to cover the cost of housing, we are glad to assist you with the arrangements at your expense. Make sure to indicate if you need the program's assistance with housing arrangements on the online STEP Application.
Questions regarding STEP: For additional information regarding STEP or to discuss specific concerns, please call the ECST Student Success Center(ESSC) at (323) 343-4574 and ask to speak to any ESSC Staff who will be glad to address your situation. You may also contact Frances Hidalgo, Director, ECST Student Success Center (ESSC) at: Phone: (323) 343-4574; Email: email@example.com.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO ATTEND STEP 2017?
1. Enrollment Confirmation Deposit: Accept your Cal State L.A. offer of admission no later than May 1st by submitting your Enrollment Confirmation Deposit (http://www.calstatela.edu/admissions/enrollment-confirmation-deposit).
2. STEP 2017 Application: Complete the STEP on-line application by Friday, May 12, 2017. STEP 2017 Registration
3. Required Placement Tests: ELM and EPT scores (or an ELM/EPT waiver) are required to participate in STEP. Make sure that you take the ELM and EPT as soon as possible. Keep in mind that registration for these tests usually happens at least two weeks prior to the date of the test and the results are usually ready 4-6 weeks after. It is crucial that you do not miss the deadline! For more information please refer to http://www.calstatela.edu/testingcenter.
4. STEP Orientation: Attend the STEP Orientation on Saturday, June 3rd from 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. at Cal State L.A., King Hall Lecture Hall 1 & 2. Free Parking Passes for the STEP Orientation will be distributed at the entrance of Lot 5 from 7:15 - 8:15 a.m.; (Campus Map: http://www.calstatela.edu/univ/ppa/campus_map.pdf)
5. Check your email and voicemail regularly. More information is forthcoming via the email address and phone number you’ve provided to the admissions office. This is the information we will use to communicate with you. If this information has changed, it is crucial that we hear back from you as soon as possible so that we may effectively communicate with you in the upcoming weeks.