I teach Health Care Finance and Management classes in the Departments of Management and Accounting and in the School of Nursing at California State University, Los Angeles. Previously I taught all aspects of health care administration, management, finance, planning, communication, systems, and community health agencies at California State University, Dominguez Hills (since 1980). Several of my former students at CSULA and CSUDH have been hired and promoted into senior leadership, management and clinician positions in health care, social services and educational institutions (both public and private) nationwide.
To simulate real-life health care environments in the classroom, I use “real world” case studies, dramatizations, role plays, collaborative team projects, group problem solving, public speaking, interactive lectures, critical thinking, writing/reading across the curriculum, service learning, “quick thinks,” open space technology, and multimedia web-based instruction.
I have presented and published locally, nationally and internationally and received numerous awards, certificates and grants. I am fluent in Spanish, French, German and English (speaking, writing and reading).
My interests and expertise are in the fields of Career Development, Human Resources Management, Financial Management, Materials Management, Information Systems, Lean Six Sigma, Facilities Planning (Construction, Safety, Security, Logistics and Space Management), Strategic Planning, Health Law, Patient Satisfaction, Licensure, Accreditation, Cultural and Linguistic Patient Care Competence,Comparative/International Health Systems, Productivity, Motivation, Workload Monitoring, Contracts and Grants, Negotiating, Public Speaking, Publishing, Distance Learning, Educational Technology, Multimedia Instruction, Collaborative Learning, Multidisciplinary Teamwork, Communicative Approach, Multiple Intelligences, Writing/Reading across the Curriculum, Service Learning, International Relations and networking with colleagues and students worldwide.
Since 1972 I have had an extensive full-time career in health care management throughout the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS), Department of Public Health (DPH), and previously, the LA County Chief Administrative Office (CAO). During this time I have served as Associate Administrator, Assistant Hospital Administrator, Chief Financial Officer, Senior Manager, Strategic Planner, Area Administrator and/or Acting Administrator for the following networks of County DHS facilities:
- Hospitals: LAC+USC Medical Center Women's Hospital, Psychiatric Hospital, Pediatric Pavilion Hospital, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Long Beach General Hospital, Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) and Alcohol Rehabilitation Facility
- Los Angeles County+USC Medical Center
- Comprehensive / Ambulatory Health Centers (HCs) : Long Beach Comprehensive Health Center and seven associated Community Health Centers (Harbor/San Pedro HC, Torrance HC, Wilmington HC, Bellflower HC, Norwalk HC, Hawaiian Gardens HC)
- Public Health Centers (HCs): Curtis Tucker HC in Inglewood, Ruth Temple HC in South Central LA, South HC in Watts, Torrance HC, Central HC, Glendale HC, Hollywood/Wilshire HC, Monrovia HC, North Hollywood HC, Pacoima HC, Pomona HC, Antelope Valley HC in Lancaster, Whittier HC, and Simms/Mann/Yvonne Burke HC in Santa Monica
- Community Health Services: Area Administrator, Administrative coordination / logistics for 8 Service Planning Areas, 14 public health centers, dental, radiology and pharmacy, DHS, DPH
- Mental Health Centers: 10 Mental Health Centers in the former Coastal Region, (Southwest quadrant of Los Angeles County), DHS
- DHS/DPH Health Strategic Planning: Assistant Director, DHS Strategic Planning Office.
I have retired after over 40 years with Los Angeles County Department of Health Services / Public Health (DHS/DPH) Administration and am transitioning into my new lifestyle. What a change! I remain actively involved with DHS/DPH by: 1) continuing doing much of the same work as a volunteer consultant assisting/training my successors one day a week ; 2) writing monthly articles for the DHS/DPH/DMH Managers Newsletter, their peer-reviewed journal; and 3) active involvement with the American Council of Healthcare Executives (ACHE), Healthcare Executives of Southern California (HCESC), University Health System Consortium (UHC), and other professional organizations.
My future plans and advice for those who remain behind are detailed in the attached 2-page article, Parting Thoughts. This was published on March 31, 2010 in The Voice, the online journal by, for and about Los Angeles County Department of Pubic Healths 4,200 employees. (I wish someone would have so advised me 40 years ago!)
Journal articles and photos of my health care management projects, awards, colleagues, classes, students, international collaboration, study tours and travels are available. Recognition for my presentations appear in numerous editions of Inside Dominguez Hills and Dominguez Hills Dateline. Details available upon request (2006-2012: CSULA, CSUDH, CSULB; 2004: UCSB, CSU Pomona; 2003: CSUDH, Paris, France; 2002: Berlin, Germany, etc.).
Leadership and Awards