Dr. Pearl Chen is a Professor of Educational Technology in the Division of Applied and Advanced Studies in Education. She joined the faculty of the Charter College of Education at Cal State LA in 2002. Prior to coming to Cal State LA, she taught at Marquette University in the Educational Policy and Leadership Program.
Dr. Chen teaches courses in instructional design, video/media production, multimedia and graphic design, online course design and development, learning theories, and applied experiences in instructional design and technology.
Dr. Chen's research interests include experience design, e-learning, situated cognition, design thinking, design-based research, community of inquiry, and participatory design.
- Hernandez, A., Chen, P., Clemmons. C., & Dong, J. (2016), Addressing the Learning Needs of Minority Students in Engineering through Participatory Design. Proceeding of 2016 American Society of Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, New Orleans, Louisiana. 10.18260/p.26526
- Chen, P., Hernandez, A., & Dong, J. (2015). Impact of Collaborative Project-based Learning on Self-efficacy of Urban Minority Students in Engineering. Journal of Urban Learning, Teaching, and Research, 11, 26-39.
- Dong, J., Chen, P., & Hernandez, A. (2015). Designing Effective Project-based Learning Experience Using a Participatory Design Approach. Proceeding of 2015 American Society of Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, Seattle, Washington. 10.18260/p.23817
- Chen, P., & Dong, J. (2014). A case study: How collaborative PBL affects learning of minority students in engineering courses at senior level. Proceeding of American Society of Engineering Education Annual Conference, Indianapolis, IL.
- Qin, X., Chen, P., & Dong, J. (2014). Enhancing collaborative project-based learning using participatory design approach. Proceeding of IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, Madrid, Spain.
- Dong, J., Qin, X., & Chen, P. (2014). Enhancing CPBL using Participatory Design Approach. Invited presentation at 2014-2015 Fall Faculty Day, California State University, Los Angeles.
- Chen, P. (2014). American graduate education: A guide for Asian international students. Invited lecture, Chinese Culture University, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Chen, P., & Dong, J. (2014). A case study: How collaborative PBL affects learning of minority students in engineering courses at senior level. American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference, Indianapolis, IL.
- Dong, J., & Chen, P. (2014). Impact of collaborative project-based learning on the self-efficacy of urban minority students in engineering. Invited talk at the Annual American Educational Research Association Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- Dong, J., Chen, P., & Qin, X. (2013). Creating a practical field with collaborative project-based learning for minority engineering students: A progress report. Annual International Conference of Association of Science Education, Changhua, Taiwan.
- Chen, P. (2013). Field experiences as legitimate participation in instructional design and technology. Annual International Conference of Association of Science Education Taiwan, Changhua, Taiwan
- Chen, P. (2013). Learning and training in complex enculturating environments. Presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT), Anaheim, CA.
- Chen, P. (2012). Field Experiences in Instructional Design and Technology: Lessons Learned and Recommendations. Journal of Applied Learning Technology, 2(4), 34-40.
- Chen, P. (2012). Field experiences in instructional design and technology: Legitimate participation and stolen knowledge. Journal of Educational Technology Development and Exchange, 5(1), 13-28.
Ph.D., Kansas State University, 1999, Educational Computing, Design, and Online Learning
M.S., Kansas State University, 1992, Secondary Education: Computer-Based Education
B.S., Chinese Culture University, 1984, Horticulture