This option prepares educators to assume leadership roles in the field of computer education. In particular, the program is designed to prepare computer-using teachers, computerbased trainers, computer/technology coordinators, and other school-based technology experts for K-12 schools and other education and training settings. Note: Teachers who plan to teach in public California K-12 classrooms or work as schoollevel or district-level computer coordinators must obtain a California teaching credential. For some district-level technology coordinator positions, a Level I California Administrative Credential is required.
- Dr. Pearl Chen
- PHONE (323) 343-4350
- Website: http://www.calstatela.edu/academic/ccoe/edci
In addition to University requirements for admission to graduate study, applicants must have a minimum 2.75 grade point average in the last 90 quarter units attempted and must have completed a course or courses covering computer literacy and applications in education (EDIT 430 or EDIT 431). Students must make written application to the Charter College of Education and the Division of Applied and Advanced Studies in Education.
REQUIREMENTS FOR A DEGREE (45 UNITS)
A total of 45 or more units is required, with at least 23 units in 00-level courses. A comprehensive examination or a thesis or project is required. There is a limit on credit that may be earned in variable-unit courses. See Restriction on Credit Earned in Variable Unit Courses.
REQUIRED COURSES (29 UNITS)
- EDFN 500 - Evaluation of Educational Research (4)
- EDIT 435 - Computer Systems in Education (4)
- EDIT 451 - Survey of Instructional Media and Technology (4)
- EDIT 484 - Computer Authoring Tools (4)
- EDIT 502 - Fundamentals of Computer Education (4)
- EDIT 556 - Technology Leadership in Schools (5)
- EDIT 580 - Applied Experience in Instructional Technology (4)
ELECTIVES (9, 16 OR MORE UNITS IN INSTRUCTIONAL TECHNOLOGY)
Selct from the following, depending on the choice of thesis, project or comprehensive examinaton- total units in the program must be 45 or more with 23 units or more at 500-level.
- EDIT 472 - World Builders (5)
- EDIT 490 - Special Topics in Instructional Technology (2–5)
- EDIT 540 - Instructional Graphics Design and Production (5)
- EDIT 550 - Multimedia Design and Production (5)
- EDIT 554 - Video Technology in Education (4)
- EDIT 557 - Computer Assisted and Managed Instruction (5)
- EDIT 560 - Internet and the World Wide Web in Education (4)
- EDIT 565 - Distance Learning (5)
- EDIT 594 - Selected Studies in Instructional Technology (1-4)
ELECTIVES OFFERED IN OTHER DEPARTMENTS
COMPREHESIVE EXAMINATION OR THESIS OR PROJECT (0-7 UNITS)
- EDFN 596 - Comprehensive Exam (0)
- EDFN 599A - Thesis or Project Planning (3) *
- EDFN 599B - Thesis or Project (2) *
- EDFN 599C - Thesis or Project (2) *