California Social Work Education Center (CalSWEC)

Logo for CalSwec



CalSWEC is a partnership between the schools of social work, public human service agencies and other related professional organizations to facilitate the integration of education and practice and assure that effective, culturally competent service is delivered to the people of California. Funded through Title IV-E monies, CalSWEC provides financial support to MSW students in exchange for a commitment to work in a public child welfare agency, within the State of California, for a minimum of one year for every year of support received.
Two Year Stipend Program: The CalSWEC IV-E stipend program provides for two years of support, at $18,500 per year, for students enrolled in the Children, Youth, Women and Families (CYWF) concentration.
Three Year Stipend Program: Students eligible to apply for the part-time CalSWEC reimbursement program must be employees of a County Child Welfare Service, County Departments of Social Services, or the California Department of Social Services. All part-time applicants must provide a letter of support from their agency administrator/director. Students participating in the program sign a contract to render one year of continuous and satisfactory full-time employment in their home public child welfare agency for each year of IV-E education support. Once contracted, the student receives full tuition and fees, costs for required books (up to $500 per semester), and a travel allowance.

For information about the Cal State LA CalSWEC Program contact Carol Mroz at 323-343-5705.
Also, please visit the main CalSWEC Program website based at the University of California, Berkeley.

For both CalSWEC and IUC, you must be able to pass a criminal background check.
If you are unable to successfully complete any of the program requirements, you must repay the stipend.
Admissions: To be considered for a stipend, student must:

  • Be in the Children, Youth, Women, and Families (CYWF) concentration.
  • Complete the “Application for Public Child Welfare Stipend Program” included in the acceptance packet and return it with a Letter of Intent to the MSW Admissions Office.
  • Be in the Children, Youth, Women, and Families (CYWF) concentration.