How to Apply (New Admits)
Welcome to Cal State LA! We are excited to have you join our residential community. We invite you to apply and complete the necessary steps promptly, as space is not guaranteed. Review the following to prepare prior to beginning your housing application.
Please note that county and state COVID-19 protocols are still in place. Learn more at Housing COVID-19 Safety.
- March 15, 2023: Housing Application for fall 2023 opens
- May 1, 2023: Last day to pay Enrollment Confirmation Deposit (ECD)
- July 19, 2023: Last day to cancel without penalty
- July 19, 2023: TB Clearance Deadline
- July 19, 2023: COVID-19 Vaccination with Booster Upload Deadline (Requirement may change)
- August 9, 2023: Housing Application Priority Deadline for fall 2023 (students who submit their applications after the deadline will be placed on a waitlist and will receive their booking after August 21, 2023.)
- September 8, 2023: Fall Payment Deadline
- February 9, 2024: Spring Payment Deadline
STEP 1: Pay Your $100 Enrollment Confirmation Deposit (ECD)
This applies to first-year and transfer students who have been admitted for fall 2023.
Two to three days after you pay the ECD, you will have access to the online housing application on the Housing Portal. Since you will not receive an email alert about this, we encourage you to log on to the portal daily to check for your access. For more information about the ECD, visit the Admissions website.
STEP 2: Complete Online Housing Application and License Agreement
The 2023-2024 Academic Year Housing License Agreement remains open at this time. You may complete and submit an application online if you are interested in living on-campus for the 2023-2024 Academic Year.
If you are interested in fall 2023, this application will open March 15, 2023.
To begin an application, you will create your student profile on the Housing Portal. The student profile is a list of questions that will help us identify roommate and/or housemate matches. Click the "Apply Now" link to begin this process.
STEP 3: Pay the $40 Application Fee (No deferments or waivers)
While completing the online Housing Application, you will be redirected to Transact. Submit the $40 application fee and click the “Return to the Housing Application” to finish the application.
If you are unable to pay the fee on CashNet, you have the following options:
- Mail (Check or Money Order): Include on the check or money order your name, campus ID number (CIN#), and “23-24 Academic Year Housing Initial Payment.” Mail it to: Cal State LA, One Stop Financial Services, Student Services Building #2380, 5151 State University Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90032.
- Foreign Currency: Please go to Flywire to make your payment using a foreign debit or credit card, international wire transfer, or other local payment options from your home country. First-time users will be asked to create a Flywire user account.
STEP 4: Consent Form: Students Under 18 Years of Age
If you are under the age of 18, please fill out your Consent Form, found in the Housing Portal under Housing Forms.
STEP 5: Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance
University policy requires that all residents provide proof that they are free of tuberculosis or not at high risk for tuberculosis each year. Please complete a Tuberculosis (TB) Screening questionnaire on the Student Health Center Patient Portal by July 19, 2023, and annually thereafter. To access the Patient Portal, log into MyCalStateLA and click the "Student Health Center Patient Portal" icon, Clearances/Forms and then TB Screening.
- Note: Most students who do the TB Screening Questionnaire (now online) do not have to take a TB skin test, negative chest x-ray, or negative QuantiFERON test. Only those students at higher risk of TB infection which includes travel to or living in South and Central America, Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East; prior positive TB test; or exposure to someone with active TB disease.