Expand your world and broaden your perspectives...Study Abroad!
Gain a better understanding of global affairs that can benefit you for the rest of your life. Cal State LA students who return home from their study abroad experiences are able to transfer their thoughts and experiences to solve common problems in everyday life, their communities, and the world. Studying abroad enables students to focus on a field of study and/or career path and to demonstrate strong collaborative and communication skills in both personal and professional interactions. Units earned abroad can apply toward your degree at Cal State LA. Financial Aid can also be applied to your study abroad experience. Explore our many study abroad options and attend a study abroad information session to learn more!
DACA Student Advisory
If you are a DACA student, Cal State LA strongly advises against studying abroad or leaving the United States, including visits to U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico. Regardless of whether or not you have been granted advanced parole, there is no guarantee that you will be allowed to re-enter the U.S. If you are currently abroad, you should seek legal counsel immediately and return to the U.S. as soon as possible. A list of non-profit organizations that provide free legal services to immigrants residing in California can be found here.
Benefits of Study Abroad
These are just some of the benefits of Study Abroad:
- Students experience new cultures by immersing themselves in them.
- Students make lasting friendships with people based in many different countries.
- Studying abroad helps students gain independence.
- Employers look for graduates with soft skills such as adaptability, relationship building, communications, self-esteem, resilience and confidence, gained through study abroad.
- Study abroad can help students focus on a field of study and/or career path.
- Students who study abroad are more likely to graduate and on time.
- Study abroad provides students with cross-cultural awareness, a critical 21st-century skill.
- Study abroad is not just about fun; it is a serious, intellectual, emotional, and psychological experience.
- Time spent in other countries deepens students' appreciation for the many different ways that other societies approach common problems.
Steps to Study Abroad
Frequently Asked Questions
Advising & Information Sessions
Attend one of our upcoming Study Abroad 101 information sessions (Wednesdays, 11 a.m. to 12 noon). You must complete the RSVP form below to attend.