Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

About Library Services
About Borrowing
About Library Research
Other Questions

Questions and Answers About Library Services

What are the Library's hours?

Locate and use a computer in the library?

How do I get a graduate cubicle?

How do I reserve a group study room?

Questions and Answers about Borrowing

How do I check a book out?
  • Bring the book to the Circulation Desk or the Exit Count (1st floor, Library north) and present your CSULA I.D. card.

How long can I have a book?

How many books/materials could I check out (journals, reference books, government documents, theses, etc)?

Where can I return books?

  • An after-hours book drop is located to the right of the library entrance doors. When the library is open, you can return books at the book drop located on the wall to the right of the Circulation Desk (1st floor, library north) or leave them at the Circulation Desk.

How do I renew books?

Where do I go to pay overdue fees?

What if the Cal State LA Library doesn't have the book I want,? Can I still get it?

  • You can use the library's Interlibrary Loan Service (ILL) to get a book from another library. It usually takes 3-10 days. Just fill out the online ILL form.

How do I request a book / article through Interlibrary Loan?

How long does Interlibrary Loan take?

Where can I find materials on reserve?

How long can I check out reserve items ?

How many reserve items can a patron check out at a time?

Questions and Answers about Library Research

How do I find a book in the Library?
  • Follow these steps:
    1) Search the Library Catalog to locate a book by title, author, or subject/keyword *Be sure to ask at the reference desk (1st floor, library north) if you need help.
    2) Using the location and call number information from your Library catalog search, retrieve the book from the Library's book stacks. *If the book is not on the shelf, please ask for help at the Reference or Circulation desks (1st floor, Library north).

How can I find articles in magzaines, journals, and newspapers?

  • You will need to search one of the many online Article Databases available on the library website. If you can't find full-text articles using these databases, you need to consult the Library Catalog using the Journals/Magazines/Newspapers tab to see if we own the journal in print you need. If you are looking for articles for the first time, we recommend that you ask for help at the Reference Desk (1st floor, Library north).

How can I find a video or music CD in the Library?

  • Follow these steps:
    1) Go to the Library Catalog Advanced Search
    2) Enter the title, composer, performer, or subject/keywords.
    3) Select either "Videos, Films " or "Sound Recordings" from the Material Type drop-down menu
    4) Click on "Search". Note: All media materials are located in the Music & Media Center (3rd floor, Library North).

How do I get help with government documents?

How do I get something from special collections?

Other Questions and Answers

  • The Library welcomes gifts of used books. They may be delivered to the Circulation Desk on the first floor, Library North. If you wish to deliver them to the loading dock or have other questions, please contact Sandy Kwong at 323-343-3981. Be sure to leave your name and address with the donation, if you desire an acknowledgement.

How can I suggest the Library purchase a book or video?

  • The Library welcomes your suggestions of new books and videos that are academic in nature for adding to our collection. There are two ways of making a suggestion. The first is by using the form available on the Library's web page at /library/bkreq.htm. The other way is to fill out a paper form for this purpose available on the first floor, Library North, across from the Reference Center desk.

I saw someone behaving inappropriately in the library. Do you have a policy for how people should conduct themselves?