Guidelines for the
Use of Special Collections
- Special Collections materials may only be consulted in the reading room.
- Leave briefcases, handbags, coats, and other personal property on the back of your chair or underneath the study table.
- Special Collections material must be handled with care to avoid damaging fragile and/or valuable resources.
- Do not force books open, turn open books face down, or place objects on them.
- Please ask a staff member for scratch paper and/or bookmarks.
- You must use a pencil for note taking in the reading room.
- Folders of loose material should be opened slowly and carefully.
- Turn the pages of loose material from right to left, as if they were bound at the left-hand edge.
- Always maintain the original order of loose material or unbound manuscripts.
- No marks may be added or removed from any material. No tracings or rubbings may be made without permission.
- Photoduplication is by permission only, on an item-by-item basis.
- Eating and drinking are not allowed.