Join us for National Chemistry Week 2019!!
Sunday, October 20th through Friday, October 25th, 2019
The Chemistry and Biochemistry Club is preparing for National Chemistry Week 2019! This is an annual event organized by the American Chemical Society during the week of October 23rd (10^23 -Avogadro’s number). This year, the theme is Marvelous Metals.
For our students, October 20-25, 2019 marks a week-long celebration of chemistry and outreach opportunities. Typically, the Chemistry & Biochemistry Club invites K-12 students, hosts guest speakers, and performs chemistry demonstrations all week long. See information about last year's NCW here.
- Monday: Opening Ceremony with games, snacks, and ice cream! La Kretz Hall Lobby, 12:30 - 2 PM
- Tuesday: Chemistry Department Seminar with Joey Lopez from the Liu lab, BIOS 334, 12 PM
- Wednesday: Lab Coat Tie-Dye and Personalization! Fine Arts 321, 6 - 7:30 PM
- Thursday: Experiment Demonstrations and Career Info, La Kretz Hall Lobby, 12 - 3 PM
- Volunteers needed! We will be performing demonstrations and giving lab tours to students from local middle and elementary schools!
- Friday: MORE Seminar with Prof. Yong Zhang from the USC Department of Pharmacology on the Design of Artificial Biomolecules, SH 184, 2 - 3:30 PM
- Friday: Closing Ceremony with In-n-Out, refreshments, and many cool chemistry give-aways! La Kretz Hall Lobby, 3:30 - 5 PM
Volunteers Needed! Sign up HERE
Download the flyer!
Cal State LA students: Do you want to help us with this event? Are you part of an on-campus club or student organization? Join us! We need volunteers to do hands-on demonstrations, give tours of research laboratories, decorate, and participate in the events! Email us at chemcsula (at) gmail.com
Cal State LA faculty: We need lots of help promoting NCW events to students – if faculty announce it in their courses, more students are likely to participate. Can you help us spread the word about our events? Make announcements about our events prior to the start of your class? Email students in your classes and in your research labs?
Faculty are invited and most welcome to all of the events for National Chemistry Week! Faculty from ALL disciplines are welcome! Also, please join us in celebrating chemistry / STEM by wearing scientific t-shirts, pins, buttons, jewelry, hats, etc.!Faculty can also help by opening up their labs and assigning students in their labs to help give lab tours or by working with students to make hands-on demonstrations. For more information contact: Cecilia Zurita-Lopez, zuritalopez (at) calstatela.edu
K-12 Educators: Would you like to bring your students to one of our events? We can do chemistry demonstrations to large and small groups. Hands-on activities are also an option! Please contact our Faculty Co-advisor: Dr. Cecilia Zurita-Lopez, zuritalopez (at) calstatela.edu
Community Partners: Are you a student group from a neighboring community college or university? Are you a business or civic group interested in supporting science outreach? Would you like to help with this event? Would you like to bring college students or K-12 students? Please contact our Faculty Co-advisor: Dr. Cecilia Zurita-Lopez, zuritalopez (at) calstatela.edu